"The roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet."; Commitment to service

Ilovemonkeys 1 / -  
SPELMAN ESSAY

PROMPT: Seeking knowledge and commitment to service are integral parts of the Spelman experience. Discuss and illustrate ways you have shown your commitment in these areas.

(500-1000 Words)
-------------------------------------------

The Greek philosopher Aristotle once said "The roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet." The chance at gaining knowledge not only in an academic setting but also in everyday encounters are privileges easily taken for granted. Since I was young the power of knowledge was a forbidden fruit to me, one that I distinctly remember constantly having a love/hate relationship with. But before I explain the pivotal moment that ignited my love of learning and helping others I will provide a short foundation for my preconceived notions on expanding my knowledge and service to others. Growing up I was raised by a single mom who worked over 50 hours a week and at times took on two jobs to provide for my three older siblings and I. So as you can imagine education past high school was not a top priority or a dream that was ever instilled in me. To my family the goal was to just survive, and while we didn't have everything we had what was essential, leaving little time to help others when we ourselves were trying to stay afloat. Throughout elementary school I was what some would call shy or "mute" and had many learning difficulties that held me back from feeling confident enough to put myself outside of my boundaries,so when something was difficult I got frustrated and gave up easily. Entering into sixth grade was when teachers started to take notice of my quite demeanor and potential for success, here's the moment that would forever change my educational career. My biggest struggles back then were math and reading. Plenty a night I spent crying over math homework and having panic a tracks at the mere thought of reading out loud. Then on the day we got out report cards back halfway through the year my math teacher Mrs.Bowman asked me to stay after class. I already had an idea that it was going to concern my not so stellar grade in her class and grudgingly walked to her desk."Katelyn what do you care about?" She asked me. And I gave what I thought to be the most obvious answer to an obvious question "My friends and family." She looked my in the eyes and said "What about your grades? They haven't been the best in my class and you continue not to come for help." So I explained my worry of being thought less than by others and that the "D" I had didn't matter cause I wasn't going to need math anyway. She proceeded to explain to me the importance and blessing it was for me to be given an opportunity to learn and that I couldn't let minor setbacks such as trouble in math or financial burdens hold me back. That moment stuck with me all through out the rest of middle school and into high school where during that time my grades improved significantly. I was apart of the honor roll, became more active vocally, and gained a yearning to help those who faced the same challenges as me at such a pivotal age. During the summer of my sophomore year of high school I started to volunteer at the local library a few days a week where I got to help elementary school children struggling with reading out load overcome their fears. This summer long commitment never felt like an obligated service requirement need to graduate, but was a way for me to take the knowledge and past experiences of my youth and help the future generation succeed in ways that I at their age didn't even consider. Helping out at the library that summer resulted in me discovering a new passion that I loved l, which was helping others through giving my time and shared knowledge. What followed and continues to follow is a long record of volunteering that has taken me from a library, to a hospital, to homeless shelters, and to spreading about the power of a kind hand. Being a first generation undergraduate college student was never a thought until I found that while knowledge is a bitter struggle, the sweetness that is seen at the end of a harvest when that fruit is in all its ripe glory is well worth it and is to be enjoyed by all, not harbored for ones self.
arcoyy 3 / 3  
excellent! you have used self-experience to make it touching and trusted. :)

She looked myme in the eyes
- Plenty a night I spent plenty nights crying over
- She looked myme in the eyes
- ...and you continue not to comeasking for help.
- ..became more active vocally , and..
- and shared knowledge.
- What followed and continuescontinuedto follow is a long

Ilovemonkeys, I'm all in, I agree to what Aristotle said and it is indeed bitter in the beginning but hey, not far is a bright future that will definitely pay off all that it took to be where you want to be. I believe everybody have struggled at one point in their life, it's what they call "spice" that makes life utterly sumptuous and worth digging. In the end you reap what you sow.

Home / Writing Feedback / "The roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet."; Commitment to service