Same-sex Marriage and The Effects on the Society

ray8171 1 / -  
Jesse Leetham
James Palazzolo
English 102
11/1/2017

Introduction
The marriage of lesbians and gays has existed since ancient times. The society views gay marriages as a disaster because they erode the morals and cultures of the society. Marriages of individuals of the same sex are contrary to the major purpose as to why God created females and males for procreation. This makes it hard for the society to accept individuals of the same sex to marry. God designed marriage as a long lifelong pledge made between one man and one woman. Marriage is meant for the procreation of children, for mutual benefit between the couple and the goodness of the community at large.

However, some parts of the globe strongly hold to marriages of individuals of the opposite sex that is a marriage between a male and a female. Legalizing of the marriage of individuals of the same sex has consequences of the laws of the society and the community at large. The repercussions are massive because the marriage of individuals of the same sex affects individuals in the workplace, armed forces, adoption, education, religion and even housing. As a result, same-sex marriage results in interchanging of the different responsibilities assigned to the two separate genders by the society. When men marry each other, they are forced to do the chores assigned to women, such as cooking and washing the dishes. In case individuals of the same sex marry and they decide to adopt children, they will be forced to take care of the child, a role that has been conventionally assigned to women by different communities across the globe. As a result, same-sex has been found to alter the set culture of the society and hence it should not be embraced.

Impact on children
There are tragedies through which children can be raised up without the presence of both parents, for instance through desertion or the demise of the parent. However, in some situations, the marriage of individuals of the same sex may require them to adopt a kid, and in such incidences, the child might be forced to live without the presence of both parents that is father and mother. This deprives the children the right to acquire both paternal and maternal love during their growth and the presence of both parents is necessary for helping the child to develop their behavior by observing their parents (Rau, 2017). In most instances, the girl child takes after the behavior of their mother and the boys take over their father's behavior. As a result, bringing them up with one parent may affect their behavior formation and the way they interact and relate to members of the opposite gender. Also, lack of maternal and paternal love may affect their psychological development. As a result, the government should not set up laws and rules allowing married individuals of the same sex to adopt children. Adoption of a child breaks down their biological identity as an offspring of a birth father and a birth mother.

Impact on the society
The foundational nature of marriage is laid down by the society. As a result, there exists a lot of discomfort with the marriage of individuals of the same sex because it is intrinsically linked to the strength and fabric of the society. The society recognizes marriage as the basic unit under which it is developed and built. Marriage and relationships of individuals of the same gender results in children and bearing of children result in the growth of the society. Marriages of individuals of the same gender cannot result in the procreation of progenies, and as a result, they are strongly condemned by the society. However, this is not a declaration of discrimination or prejudice, but simply it recognizes the limitations of the inherent attributes of relationships of individuals of the same gender (Muder, 2003). Generationally, the society has been set up to emphasize the marriage of individuals of the same gender to ensure procreation of children, which is the main reason as to why God ordained marriage. Despite the many challenges faced in marriages, the society does not offer a reason to abandon the marriage, but rather they support holding onto the marriage. Marriages are viewed as the foundation upon which the future generation is built.

Economy of the society
Marriages of individuals of the same gender affect the economy of the United States in different ways. The wedding industry creates employment opportunity for some people in the United States. Legalizing marriages of individuals of the same sex will increase the number of individuals employed hence developing the industry. As a result, the economy of the country will increase because the industry pays revenue to the government, which is used to provide services to the citizens such as education and health services. Also, the employed population will have a source of income, and their lives will be improved (Bernstein, 2013). When people marry, they combine their resources and bring them together to increase their productivity and ensure the components of their household have been significantly improved. As a result, each partner in the institution is free and contented, and they experience love from their partners.

Reduction of the population
As stated earlier, marriage was ordained by God for the procreation of children. However, when individuals of the same sex marry, they do not procreate. This results in a reduction of children born in the community. When not controlled, gay marriage can result in a massive decrease of a community because there are no children born to take over after their parents. Reduction in the number of children born results in population and workforce decreases in society over the years. However, same-sex married couples can be allowed to adopt children and take care of them. This will help in building the society as well as increasing the population of the community. The government of the United States has been forced to change its rules and regulations to favor marriage of individuals of the same sex (Masci, 2015). Changes in law may affect the general population, for instance at the workplace or public institutions such as schools. Legalizing same-sex marriage will affect the smooth running of learning institutions because learners will develop relationships amongst themselves that will drastically affect their performances. It will result in misleading of the youths who are viewed as the pillar of the community by the older members of the society. Marriages of individuals of the same sex defile the morals of the community, which only permits marriage of the only members of the opposite sex.

Undermine the stability of heterosexual marriages
Marriage between a female and a male is viewed to be more stable by the society. However, with the freedom that comes arises when individuals of the same gender marry, some members of the community have considered changing their mindset and take about homosexual marriages. They have developed an interest in such marriages due to the changes in the modern world where individuals require freedom. As a result, it has resulted in instability of heterosexual marriages as some individuals are converting and getting into queer marriages. Through marriage, couples make their relationships permanent, official and public. It joins them together and creates a bond that lasts until one of the couple or both of them dies. However, the agreement made on marriage can be broken when the couples divorce. Marriage portrays the grace and glory of God by revealing the unbreakable relationship that was established between Jesus Christ and the church. The controversy over marriage is highlighted by human rights, legal rulings, religious beliefs and cultural traditions. However, there have been challenges because some individual is advocating and involving himself or herself in same-sex marriage hence moving from the major reason that was intended by God towards marriage. The marriage of individuals of the same sex has been legalized in the United States and other counties across the globe.

Health
Gay marriages and lesbianism have increased chances of contracting diseases for instance HIV and AIDS. This is associated with the increased number of partners they have sex with. The majority of them are not loyal to singling partners, but rather they practice sex with a wide range of partners, and this makes them more prevalent in the disease. When individuals gain such disease, they become weak if they do not seek constant medical care. Individuals who have HIV and AIDS are feeble and cannot perform heavy tasks, which can help in building the society. This results in a decrease of the productivity of the community in economic, social and political aspects. Also, a lot of money is used to take the infected patients to health centers and to purchase their drugs. This results in an economic drawback in the family and the society at large (Geggel, 2015). In some instances, the death of parents owing to the disease leaves children suffering because they have nobody to take care of them. The children are viewed as the future hope of the society, and hence when they suffer, the future of the society is impacted significantly. The disease results in premature death of individuals providing different services to the society, for instance, teachers. This leaves a gap in the society that reduces their productivity. As a result, there is an economic draw back into the society due to illnesses contracted mostly by marriages and relationships of individuals of the same sex.

Erosion of morals of the society.
The morals of the society allow the marriage of individuals of different genders only. However, with the legalization of the marriage of individuals of the same gender, the morals of the society will be eroded as the behavior will be passed on to the future generation. The older people who are already in the behavior recruit majority of the youths into gay and lesbianism. This has constantly resulted in the erosion of the morals of the society. However, the society has little or no control over the behavior, particularly when the law of the state has legalized it. Children being raised by parents who are lesbians or gay will be exposed to the risk of sexual abuse. In future, the children have higher chances of marrying individuals of the same gender because they learned it from their parents. Such children introduce the behavior to their age mates and these results in erosion of the cultures of the society.

Changing of laws by the government
The government of the state has been forced to change laws to favor marriage of individuals of the same gender. The constitution is tailored to accommodate each body in the state, for instance, the terms of employment, the provision of health services and provision of education. Civil unions fighting for lesbian and gay marriages are renowned and accepted by different employers across the country, which affect working time, payment of money and the colleagues. This affects the traditions of the workplace, and they are forced to adjust to fit in the gay and lesbian workers. As a result, the rest of the members of the firm are significantly affected and forced to adapt to the new changes in the organization. Also, homosexuality has been introduced and incorporated into the education system. This puts the youths at the risk of getting to know much about the behavior, and they might be forced to get into the behavior. As a result, the tradition of the community may end up being eroded completely.

Emotional stress and financial costs
Homosexual individuals can file cases against people who are practicing their religious beliefs, for instance, a heterosexual couple that has been married for some years and has children together who are not willing to lease a house in the family to individuals who are homosexual could face a law because of discriminating against them on account of their sexual orientation. This can result in huge emotional and financial stress in the family. Also, the family will also face restraint due to the fear of facing the law because of denying homosexuals to rent the house. Gay and lesbian marriages affect the spiritual faith of people because they are required to believe and offer support to homosexual marriages yet they know it is not right. Some religions do not allow marriages of individuals of the same gender, and in such cases, they are required to accept the law.

Conclusion
Legalizing of the marriage of individuals of the same sex bears consequences on the laws of the society and the community at large. The outcomes are dire because the marriage of individuals of the same sex affects individuals in the workplace, armed forces, adoption, education, religion and even housing. When men marry each other, they are forced to do the chores traditionally attached to women, such as cooking and washing the dishes. In case individuals of the same sex marry and they decide to adopt children, they will be forced to take care of the child, a role that has been assigned to women by different communities across the globe. When individuals of the same sex marry, their insurances and socials securities, as well as taxes, do not get deducted because they cannot pay jointly. Different laws do not permit single people to assume offspring because they are believed not to have stable homes what will provide a more stable environment for the effective growth of the child.

Works cited
Geggel, Laura. "Same-sex Marriage: 6 Effects of Supreme Court's Decision." LiveScience, Purch
"How Would Same-Sex Marriages Affect Society?" Edited by Heather M Kiefer
Jasthi, Sreekar. "The Economic Impact of Gay Marriage: A $2.5 Billion Question." NerdWallet
Masci, David. "How the Supreme Court's Decision for Gay Marriage Could Affect Religious Institutions." Pew Research Center
Murder, Doug. "The Goodridge Decision on Same-Sex Marriage." The Internet Gurus
Rau, Alia. "Court Orders Ak-Chin Tribe to Recognize Marriages of Same-Sex Couples." Azcentral, The Republic
Bernstein, Mary, and Verta Taylor. The Marrying Kind?: Debating Same-Sex Marriage within the Lesbian and Gay Movement. University of Minnesota Press
Jesse, your essay is heavy on theory, but lacking in examples and additional information that will support the data that you are presenting. For instance, in the opening paragraph, you indicate that gay marriage has existed since ancient times. However, you do not offer any factual evidence to back up this claim. Where did you get this information? What makes you think that this sort of marriage existed in ancient times? Was it a marriage that was recognized by society and the government at that time? If yes, what changed so that society not considers such unions taboo? If you want to create a more interesting opening statement for your essay, you have to consider enhancing the opening statement by answering a few, if not all of the questions I posed above. By the way, your essay does not have a clear thesis statement represented at the end. What exactly will be discussed in this essay and why is it important that I consider the arguments you are presenting that cover a vast array of discussion topics?

Your essay should present researched data regarding a comparison rate of successful heterosexual and same sex marriages. In order for me to believe the information you are presenting, you should also convince me that same sex marriages have a higher rate of failure than the normal married couples. This is the part of your essay that is extremely weak. There are so many parts of this essay that require percentage data such as the rate of HIV among same sex couples, the number of monogamous same sex couples, the number of same sex couples in the work place that cause problems for the company and the reasons why this causes problems, and a number of other sections. Let's put it this way, for every sub topic you present, you need to present numerical figures along with your theoretical presentations in order to make a convincing argument for your side of the debate. I find your conclusion to be acceptable and appropriate for the topic presented though. I do not see any reason to alter the content of that part of the essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Same-sex Marriage and The Effects on the Society