Satirical Essay (help with the humorous additions)

ganz91 1 / -  
Hey i really need help expanding and finishing my essay. I was only able to mock and criticize, so I need help with the humorous additions

This is what I have so far thanks:

In the past few years, the controversy regarding illegal Mexican immigrants in the United States has been increasing. Congress wants to build a wall to make it more difficult for the illegal Mexican immigrants to enter the United States. They have put up advanced security systems and are creating strict laws to keep us out.I, however, stand with the Mexicans. I see their involvement in the daily lives of Americans as nothing but a positive.

Firstly, man has wanted nothing more but to better the lives of their family. With the illegal Mexican immigrants, this is exactly the same. The life that they choose to leave behind in Mexico is nothing to write home about. One scrapes by building local ornaments to sell to visiting tourists, showing them the hot spots, technically becoming a slave for someone's day of enjoyment. For what? A measly few dollars here and there. One weeks worth of work in America could be family's entire month's worth of food in Mexico. As all immigrants seem to have a knack for, they will do the job most American's scoff at and they will do it better and often cheaper. This is something that all immigrants, legal or not, should be proud of.

Secondly illegal immigrants have a greater sense of family. We are a subculture that respects our parents, our brothers and sisters, our elders, our cousins. We respect our family. Could the same be said about those legal Americans? Every day there are commercials on TV regarding divorces and pedophiles being arrested for child abuse. Notice how when the news comes on, they don't mention that those pedophiles or those divorcees are illegal immigrants. This is because of our respect.

The last thing worth mentioning is the food. We love our food and work harder than the average American for it. For the substantial amount of food we eat, we are rarely diagnosed with heart attacks. We eat fresh food from the ground and take our time preparing our meals. We eat with respect to the food we are about to receive and to those that took the time to prepare it. These legal Americans shovel food down their throat with regard for those who took the time to prepare it. ....
This isn't satirical so much as vaguely bigoted. Part of your problem is that you are writing about illegal immigrants, but attempting to satirize legal American citizens. However, neither group is homogeneous, and while you at least specify that you are talking about "illegal Mexican immigrants," you make no such distinction when it comes to legal Americans, which presumably include legal Mexican immigrants who would presumably share the same cultural values as the illegal ones in many cases.

If you want to write a satirical essay on this topic, take a subset of legal Americans (such as those who want to build a wall along the border) and write about them, or about the idea of putting up a border, as if it were a good idea, while making it clear that you really think it is a bad idea. Or, conversely, write about illegal immigrants as if you wanted to see them all rounded up and shot, while making it clear that you are really in sympathy with them. See A Modest Proposal, by Jonathon Swift, as an example of what I mean. In that satirical essay, he talks about how it would be a good idea for the poor to sell their infants for food, while making it clear he is really on the side of poor, whom he views as suffering from social oppression.

Home / Writing Feedback / Satirical Essay (help with the humorous additions)