"Is personal satisfaction the motivation for people to achieve?", covers point?

stephen1341 1 / 2  
The question my teacher gave us is "Is personal satisfaction the motivation for people to achieve?".

It's just a very simple four paragraph paper. My question is, I'm I missing the point of the paper? Thanks for your input, here's what I wrote:

Motivation
Stephen Shirley

Is personal satisfaction the motivation for people to achieve? Fame and money have long been the motivation for striving to achieve. However, once people achieve wealth and fame, they realize that personal satisfaction is more of a reward. There are many examples of people who were either born into wealth and fame or worked their way to it, such as William Borden and 50 Cent.

William Borden was rich from birth as heir to his family's fortune. However, he did not choose a lifestyle of self indulgence and wastefulness. Instead, when his parents sent him on a tour around the world, he observed poverty and desired to become a missionary so he could help (home.snu.edu). One of his friends was disbelieving that he was "throwing himself away as a missionary". In response to this, Will wrote two words in the back of his Bible, "No reserves". Will got a graduate degree at Princeton Seminary in New Jersey, and sailed for China hoping to minister to Muslims. On the way, he stopped in Egypt to study Arabic and contracted spinal meningitis. In a months time, William Borden died. Although Will was a millionaire and could have spent his time striving to amuse himself, he strove for the personal satisfaction that comes from obeying God's will. After he died, his family found the words "No reserves, No retreat, No regrets" written in the back of his Bible. He seemed to realize that money was not the ultimate reward. The reward and motivation of knowing that he was doing something useful in the world was enough for him. People who are born rich are not the only people who come to realize what the best motivation is.

Although money and fame are a driving motivation behind most of todays work force, personal satisfaction is the best motivation. For example, 50 Cent, a rapper who started out poor and worked his way to riches, was quoted saying, "I used to equate success with my finances because I didn't have anything, and when you don't have any money it seems money is the answer to all your problems. Then you get money, and you realize that you've got a whole new set of problems." 50 Cent, one of the richest rappers in the world, said that money was not enough for him. What then, is the driving force behind his career? The personal satisfaction that comes from creating something, in his case music, and having people enjoy it is the reason he continues to rap.

William Borden and 50 Cent are two people whose main motivation was personal satisfaction. They realized that money and fame are not satisfying motivators. Therefore, the answer to the question, "Is personal satisfaction the motivation for people to achieve?" is yes, in most cases it is the best motivation of all.

sources

hollyscoop/50-cent/50-cent-400-million-fortune-isnt-enough_22794.a spx
home.snu.edu/~HCULBERT/regret.htm

EDIT: hmm I noticed this website does not include indents or double spacing, so I broke it up into the paragraphs.
It doesn't seem to me that you missed the point of the paper, and you used interesting examples. Here are a few minor things I found to correct though;

There are many examples of people who were either born into wealth and fame or worked their way to it, and two such examples, are William Borden and 50 Cent.

Instead, when his parents sent him on a tour around the world, he observed poverty and desired to become a missionary so he could help people (home.snu.edu).

One of his friends accused him of "throwing himself away as a missionary".

Although Will was a millionaire and could have spent his time amusing himself, he strove for the personal satisfaction that comes from obeying God's will.

Although money and fame are a driving motivation behind most of today's work force, personal satisfaction is the best motivation.

For example, 50 Cent, a rapper who started out poor and worked his way to riches, was quoted as saying, "I used to equate success...
OP stephen1341 1 / 2  
Thank you! I got a 98 on this paper, so yeah, I guess I didn't miss the point. Sometimes our minds can just trick us :P

Home / Writing Feedback / "Is personal satisfaction the motivation for people to achieve?", covers point?