IELTS: Is school too academic?

ssani607 1 / -  
Topic:Some people say that schools are too academic and that it would be better for children to learn about practical life, such as at home, at work and personal relationships. To what extent do you agree? What should be taught in schools?

There have always been complaints from some people that schools are too academic and not teaching useful skills for real life. However, I don't think this discontent is reasonable since children are already learing practical skills in schools. Then, let me explain more in the following paragraphs.

First, it is evident that a school is the first place that children start their social life. Even though there is not an actual subject that teaches pupils how to behave properly in society, they can learn it by spending time with their peers. In the school, kids naturally figure out how to make friends and get along with each other. In addition to this, they can learn how to act right in the given society under the directions of their teachers. There are lots of apportunities for children to practice their social role in the class since children would be given a duty like being a class president, cleaning the classroom or even handing out some worksheets for teachers at leasce once during their school days.In short, young kids can learn lots of social relating skills by their experience in schools.

One more reason why I don't think schools to be more practical is that school is substantially aimed for intriguing sutdents' intellectual curiorities. Thus, schools don't have to be more practical. Schools give children academic educations and other substitutive society like home can provie them with more realistic educations. It is fine for schools to focus on academic teachings so that children would know what kinds of subject fit for them and decide what to do in the future.

In conclusion therefore, schools don't have to change to be more intended for actual use. They are already offering kids chances to learn how to act as a part of society and shools are originally places to give students academic knowledge which they can't gain from other places.
Then, let me explain more in the following paragraphs.

You have taken a good entrance to your essay. However, in my feeling, your introduction sounds better without the quoted sentence. Reader knows you are going to explain why you think so and there's no need to state it. It disturbs the smooth flow of your essay :)

Even though there is not an actualno particular subject that teaches pupils how to behave properly in the society, they can learn it by spending time with their peers.

ao pportunities

class presidentprefect

at leasceleast
charrmaine 3 / 5  
kids naturally figure, instead of kids , u can use children or students,' kids ' is an informal word to use
clarkmc 3 / 17  
in academic writing avoid using contracted words eg. don't, can't
golay 2 / 3  
Precisely!

"cannot" would be fine.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Is school too academic?