Should school-aged kids be compelled to partake in local volunteer projects without payment or not?

Nguyenviet 2 / 2  

Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school program

There has long been a controversial debate over whether school-aged children should be compelled to partake in local volunteer projects without payment. While acknowledging several notable benefits, I still firmly believe that it should be a matter of personal choice.

On the one hand, there are two primary reasons why unpaid community services should be a compulsory subject. The key rationale is that doing volunteer allows students to further enhance their interpersonal skills including teamwork, communication or problem-solving abilities which would doubtless be of great necessity during the latter course of their lives. Added to this is invaluable life lessons drawn from practical experience which might cultivate a sense of maturity and responsibility amongst children. As this mandatory subject enables students to approach the disadvantaged and vulnerable in the society as well as get insight into their harsh living conditions, students are likely to develop a multi-dimensional outlook on lives and conduct themselves in a more mature and appropriate manner.

Considering the concrete gains of unpaid community services, My belief is that it should be a matter of personal preference. The first and foremost argument is that children deserve to be emancipated from any duty in the aftermath of school hours and get rejuvenated via their favorite recreational activities. The idea behind it is that the academic study coupled with various assessment and continuous exams places an enormous strain on school-aged students. Therefore, there should be no additional mandatory subject that cuts down the amount of leisure time meant for their mental and physical well-being. Another convincing argument is that students should be given freedom to do unpaid community-based work otherwise this compulsory subject might sow a seed of resentment and anger in the fragile minds of children, which in turn brings about counter-productive impacts on them.

In short, a considerable improvement on necessary social skills and life lessons could be the desired impacts of unpaid community services, however, I still hold a firm belief that children are entitled to the right to do volunteer at their own disposal.
There are 3 major problems with the restated prompt. The first problem, is that it alters the public opinion idea by using the wrong reference point:

long been a controversial debate

. There is neither a reference to a controversy, debate, or long term discussion. The topic basis alteration can only result in deductions.

The second problem, is that the reference to

school-aged children

is made in the discussion. This is an incorrect age range reference as the mention in the original relates to teenagers or young adults. School-age children will never be asked to perform community service.

Finally, the writer jumped directly opinion basis in the last part. Totally skipping the complete keyword response to the question provided. He should have firmly disagreed before laying out the reason why.

The first reasoning paragraph is totally unrelated to his opinion as previously stated. This paragraph should not have been presented since this is a single opinion essay. The writer presented 2 valid supporting opinions in the next paragraph which should have been properly expanded over 2 paragraphs instead. Instead, he will lose points for 2 reasons:

1. The writer gave an unrelated opinion discussion
2. The writer has an under explained related opinion in the essay

While the sentence structure and word usage will have limited deductions applied, the main scoring areas will receive score reducing deductions.
cherryblossom 6 / 11 3  
unpaid community services should be a compulsory subject -> community service is not a subject -> simply " should not be compulsory"
doing volunteer -> do volunteering/ do volunteer work
"Considering the concrete gains of unpaid community services, My belief is that it should be a matter of personal preference" This makes no sense as you use the wrong linking device, it should be "Despite the concrete gains of"

"the first and foremost argument is that" - as far as I'm concerned, "first and foremost" is used as an adv, not an adj

- "in the aftermath of of school hours" - aftermath is used for things like war, storm, or accident
- The idea behind it is that -> The idea behind this is that
-at somebody's disposal means available for someone to use - you seem to use several advanced phrases in the wrong context.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should school-aged kids be compelled to partake in local volunteer projects without payment or not?