SAT essay:Should schools help students understand moral choices and social issues?

SnowWolf 4 / 15  
Should schools help students understand moral choices and social issues?
The purpose of school is to provide education to students. The definition of educate is not just to provide instruction for skill, it is also a place to develop mentally, morally or aesthetically by instruction. Without the helping students understand moral choices and social issues the school is not even fulfilling its basic requirement.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once wrote an essay called The Purpose of Education. In the essay he stated that the "education must train one for quick, resolute and effective thinking, [it is also] to teach one to think intensively and critically" but also in the same essay "The most dangers criminals may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals." So if we only teach out students with knowledge and most effective way to think, we might be equipping ill-minded people with the weapons they need to commit crimes!

School should help students understand moral choices and social issues not just because we don't want people to become sociopath. It is because we are at a time where information are just seconds away, where propagandas are also just seconds away, school need to teach their students what is right and wrong so they won't be controlled by the propagandas.

I would like feed backs like what I should or can add, thanks a lot =D
I like to use these " " marks when referring to a word:
The definition of "educate" involves more than just to providing instruction. It is also a place to matter of mental, moral, and (aesthetically ?) artistic development. instruction . Without the helping students understand moral choices abstract ideas and social issues the school is not even...

Also, this word does not need to be pluralized:... so they won't be controlled by the propaganda. Oh, I see that Maria already corrected that. Propaganda is not something you measure in numbers. You can have a little propaganda or a lot, just like you can have a little water or a lot, a little education or a lot. There is no need to add an s.

:-)
OP SnowWolf 4 / 15  
Thank you guys for all your help, but Kevin, can you explain to me why you use abstract ideas to replace my moral choices?
Whatever I did may have been because of my own brain malfunction, so let's go back and check...

Wait here, I'll be right back! ...

Oh, I see why... it is because I was thinking the sentence sounded strange with ...helping students understand moral choices and social issues.------ actually, your way is not wrong, just confusing.

How about this way:
...helping students understand moral and social issues as they make their choices...

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT essay:Should schools help students understand moral choices and social issues?