IELTS- Task 2: Selection of students based on their qualifications

baotram1812 6 / 11  
Topic: Some people think that schools should select students according to their academic abilities, while others believe that it is better to have students with different abilities studying together.

DISCUSS BOTH VIEWS AND STATE YOUR OWN OPINION.

Here is my essay. Feel free to give advice. Thanks a lot!

It is undeniable that students possess different levels of academic capacities. Therefore, some arguments stated that educational institutions need to classify students based on their qualifications. Others claim that students with various types of abilities had better study in the same class. In my opinion, we should categorize students only in high schools and universities.

The most supported reason for choosing students according to their academic abilities is to guarantee the general improvement of the class. Having the same qualification, students can be taught by the same teaching methods without fears of being left behind or underestimated by teachers or classmates. However, this class type may discourage students from striving to get outstanding academic results.

On the contrary, the main advantage of studying with students of different capacities is that strengths and weaknesses are shared with each other. While well-qualified students seem to be boring and lack of soft skills, the others with low study marks, who really need help from not only teachers but also their well-studied classmates, always bring entertainments to the class. Nevertheless, this kind of class may sparks conflicts between excellent students and the below-average ones due to some disagreement.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe that classifying students based on their academic abilities should only be done in high school and higher education. Due to the necessity of socialization in childhood, students in primary and secondary schools need to learn how to treat others of different qualifications properly. From the age of 16, they are able to realize their academic capacities and very sensitive when it comes to being compared to excellent students. Therefore, high schools need to select students according to their studious capacities.

In conclusion, studying with students of either different or the same academic abilities are essential for the overall development. However, categorization should only be done by high schools and universities.
minhquan20 2 / 5 1  
Hi, I have some suggestions for you.
There is a tense confusion occurs in your essay. For instance
"Therefore, some arguments stated that ... Others claim that ..."

By the way, I think you should use the present tense in Ielts task 2, just use the past tense if you want to present or give an example that happens in the past.
monica0407 3 / 4 1  
I think your essay need more examples which can support your ideas and make those clearer. Specifically, in the second paragraph, you can add an example after "Having the same qualification, students ..." to support it deeply. And you should remove it because it did not support to the main idea of this paragraph and you also did not give any explanation for it.
Your opinion should not have been stated in the opening paraphrase. You should only be repeating the discussion instructions in your own words in that paragraph. Your opinion should only be indicated in the 4th paragraph of the essay based on a comparison of the 2 public opinions. Your opinion cannot be given based on an opinion that does not exist in the original discussion. The opinion you present should be a culmination of the comparative discussion of the 2 public points of view. The only choices you have for the discussion are based on the provided information. You should never create your own opinion as you are scored based on your understanding and defense of the existing opinion, that you have decided to support.

Since the original prompt refers to "some people" and "others", the same gender free pronoun references should be indicated in the reasoning paragraphs. You can use other terms, to clarify that you are not yet discussing a personal opinion. Some terms you can use are alternative groups, and supporting sectors. You have to use these reference terms to make it clear to the reader that you are merely explaining the point of view, without actually supporting it. Once you discuss your personal opinion, you should use a first person reference that will help you illustrate why you support one of the two specific discussion presentations.

Your conclusion should be divided into sentences that indicate the separate representations of the previous discussion:
- The topic
- The first point of view and reason
- The second point of view and reason
- The personal opinion and reason

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS- Task 2: Selection of students based on their qualifications