Self-Identity Paper for Ethnic Minorities Class, I haven't been in college for 15 yrs

AbbieDietz 2 / 4  
Self-Identiy Paper

My name is Abbie Maria Dietz and I am going to tell you about myself using three main categories, who I am, where I come from and where I am going. Many life experiences have contributed to how I define myself. My concept of my identity includes both characteristics I use to define myself and those that define my affiliation with certain groups. I am a 34 year old, single white female of Scandinavian descent that is in recovery from alcoholism, attending school full time to pursue a career in Social Work.

I was born on July 3rd 1976, a day shy of the bicentennial celebration for our nation. This is a topic that has come up often in conversations about birthdays throughout my life. It is an association with patriotism that I hold dear to my heart as I have family lineage dating back to the Revolutionary War. I am the youngest child of a blue-collar, two child family and I grew up in a middle-class suburb of Seattle. As children my brother and I did not know we were "poor" but as I grew older I became more aware of the discrepancy between myself and my peers in relation to socioeconomic status. This difference in privilege became profoundly obvious to me when I attended college at Pacific Lutheran University after graduating high school.

For several years after my time at PLU I identified myself as a Lutheran. Today, I find many aspects of organized religion and teachings of the bible to be in conflict with science. I am a big fan of science; therefore I currently identify with more of an atheist perspective on creationism that anything. This topic however is one I plan to continue to study for my lifetime and am quite okay with the potential that I will never find a religious category I fit neatly into.

Currently, I am a full-time student at Yakima Valley Community College in Chemical Dependency Studies. After battling alcoholism for fifteen years I have found my path to sobriety. I am also simultaneously working to obtain my Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences from Central Washington University. Upon completion of these two programs, I plan on getting a Masters in Social Work from either Heritage University or the University of Washington.

Although some areas of my life are currently "under construction", I have a strong sense of who I am, where I've been and where I am going. From humble beginnings, through addiction and turmoil, I have found the value of education to be at the forefront of my life and aim to make a difference in the lives of others through my professional work in Social Welfare.
I am a 34 year old, single white female of Scandinavian descent, who is in recovery from alcoholism, attending school full time to pursue a career in Social Work.

As children, my brother and I did not know we were "poor" but as I grew older I became more aware of the discrepancy between myself and my peers in relation to socioeconomic status.

For several years after my time at PLU, I identified myself as a Lutheran.

... therefore I currently identify with more of an atheist perspective on creationism than anything.

After battling alcoholism for fifteen years, I have found my path to sobriety.

This is great, and I admire you for getting back up. Many people never do, so you're an excellent example, that people can get better and go on to do great things! Good luck with school and in all you do.

:)
OP AbbieDietz 2 / 4  
Thank you so much Susan! I really appreciate your help and kind words. I was so scared to write this first paper and when I found this forum I couldn't believe it. Is it something I can use throughout school? This was my first experience and it was very helpful.

Thanks again,
Abbie Dietz
ggreif 2 / 5  
I like the subject matter. It grabs the attention and is definitely inspirational.
I would definitely say you can use it throughout school.
Good luck Abbie

Home / Writing Feedback / Self-Identity Paper for Ethnic Minorities Class, I haven't been in college for 15 yrs