Sending criminals to prison is not the best method of dealing with them

hailinh 1 / -  

education and vocational training for prisoners

There's a controversial opinion that education and training will positively influence the criminals during their rehabilitation path rather than being imprisoned. From my viewpoint, prison is just an instant solution while these other two methods may actively change their attitudes and release the financial burden of the whole society.

Being isolated under strict supervision may trigger anger and anti-social attitudes. Nowadays, most countries around the world using prison as a special place to separate people who were accused of committing crimes from society for a specific time. This method is considered immediately effective by providing a sense of being safe for other people. However, it makes prisoners feel cornered in the desperation of having no chance to come back to normal life. Therefore, the inside anger will keep growing until they are legally released and burst out into criminal activities again.

In contrast, education and vocational training bring long-term beneficial effects to both the prisoners themselves and society. Most criminals were born and brought up in poor conditions without the chance to access the education system. Being educated can help them perceive what is right and wrong more properly, as well as increase their understanding of laws. By then, there will be a change in their attitudes towards social vices and crimes. Besides, job training gives criminals more chances to rehabilitate, get employed to earn their livings. With fewer prisoners, the financial burden placed on the government for maintaining this punishment system will decrease. Instead, they can increase the investment in other essential areas such as social welfare, public health, etc.

With the increase of criminal rates, the resolution to deal with this group of people is gaining more public attention. However, the government should consider applying education and vocational training rather than focus on the short-term effects of imprisonment.
The writer has provided a relevant restatement and reasoning paragraph foundation. However, he has not given a response to the opinion question, "to what extent do you agree or disagree? " While the response is "implied " overall in the essay, a clear TA score cannot be applied as the writer failed to provide the correct opinion response format prior to the reasoning foundation. The essay TA score will suffer due to this slight oversight. The first paragraph carries heavy scoring requirements that the writer must always be aware of. In this instance, he failed to double check for prompt responsiveness.

As this is not a comparative essay, finding something positive to say about the opposing view is unnecessary. The scores are only applied to supporting paragraphs. The writer at this point, will receive a score for the second paragraph. This will be based on an under- explained line of reasoning and way cause a failing score as other deductions are applied per section.

The reasoning paragraphs should have discussed the following topics in one paragraph each:
- Benefits of education
- Benefits of vocational training

Properly developed and discussed, these 2 topics would have boosted the TA and C + C scores for a better final grade.

Home / Writing Feedback / Sending criminals to prison is not the best method of dealing with them