essay about Siddhartha's Teachers

luny 1 / -  
Siddhartha'sTeachers

Siddhartha is the story about a man who goes searching for his inner life. Siddhartha goes through a series of changes and realization as he attempts to achieve his goal. Throughout the story Siddhartha undergoes many experiences many different sides of life, and changes his idea of how to reach enlightenments several times. On this long journey Siddhartha becomes a member of different groups. Siddhartha learns many new things from being in this group about finding self and life in general. He learns many new things from teachers and teaching. Throughout his long life journey Siddhartha is exposed to teachers and their teaching: beautiful courtesan Kamala, a rich merchant Kamaswami and the Ferryman Vasuveda.

The first teacher along his way was Kamala, a beautiful courtesan. Before Siddhartha met Kamala all he knew of was "thinking, waiting, and fasting."(Hesse,46)He was a simple "Samana from the forest."(Hesse,45)After they met to each other, Kamala taught him one of the most important things someone can be taught, how to love and be love in return. With that she also put him through one of the hardest things in life a personal relationship with the opposite sex.Siddhartha 's greatest pleasure come from Kamala she taught Siddharta the art of lovemaking and for this Siddartha was very happy."In fact, he was madly in love with her.(Hesse,99).The benefits of Kamala's teaching is that "art of love"."He visited the beautiful Kamala regularly, learned the art of love in which, more than anything else, giving and taking become one. He talk to her, learned from her, gave her advice, received advice."(Hesse,71)He learned not just how to make love he also realized that she is the only woman he loved. She also helps him to become a man of wealth closing and earthly pleasure."He had learned to wear fine clothes, to command servant, to bathe in sweet-smelling waters."(Hesse,77)He had learned all this pleasure thing but "He had always felt different from and superior to the others ;"(Hesse,77) After realizing that he has become an commonly man just like the other in the town. He leaves Kamala to again search for salvation."Kamala did not try to find him. She was not surprised when she learned that Siddhartha had disappeared."(Hesse,85).Through this path Siddhartha learned that life of loving someone is good it is make him feel happy, but the life of pleasure is not the life which can make him happy.

Another of the people who Siddhartha obtained knowledge from was the rich merchant Kamaswami.Kamaswami tries to teach Siddhartha about business .He shows him the "accounts"(Hesse 65)and the" goods and warehouses"(Hesse 65).Siddhartha tries to learn the business and make his best, but it " not stir his heart."(Hesse 66) While Siddhartha working for Kamaswami hi realized that the business life is not the life for him, this business life and material things brought him more sadness."His heart was not indeed in business."(Hesse 69)"It was useful in order to bring him money for Kamala."(Hesse 69). Business only matter s to him as long as it helps him fulfill Kamala's want it is just means to gain her favors. The business life does not bring him happiness, hi is not interested in material things. Siddhartha hears a voice within him so soft and gentle that he can hardly hear it. It tells him that business dealings are all a game."Kamaswami conducted his business with care and often with passion, but Siddhartha regarded it all as a game."(Hesse 66)

The Ferryman Vasuveda was the grates teacher Siddhartha had.Vasuveda teaches Siddhartha how to learn" from the river that is a good to strive downwards,to sink,to seek the depths."(Hesse 105)(Vasuveda has so much knowledge which hi passes to Siddhartha.Vasuveda is interested in what Siddhartha has to say so that he may help him with his dilemmas. Furthermore "Vasuveda listened with great attention; he heard all about his origin and childhood, about his studies, his seeking, his pleasures and needs"(Hesse 104) For example Siddharta "reviewed my life and it was also a river"(Hesse 107) Both Vasuveda and the river become Siddartha;s teachers. Though the river does not actually speak, it can tell many lessons by just telling Siddhartha realize what represents . He learns from the Ferryman that the river is the key to inner peace."The river knows everything; one can learn everything from it "(Hesse 105) The Vasuveda

Throughout this book Siddhartha condemns and left his teachers, but in the end he becomes one. For whole his journey life he is the learner he was the teacher of himself. Siddhartha saw four sights: a sick man, a poor man, a beggar, and a corpse, he was filled with infinite sorrow for the suffering that humanity has to undergo. After seeing these four things, Siddhartha then dedicated him to finding a way to end human suffering. He abandoned his former way of life, including his wife and family, and dedicated himself to a life of extreme asceticism.
Jeannie 10 / 214  
Siddhartha is the story about a man who goes searching for his inner life. Siddhartha goes through a series of changes and realizations as he attempts to achieve his goal. Throughout the story Siddhartha undergoes many experiences manydifferent sides of life, and changes his idea of how to reach enlightenments several times. On this long journey Siddhartha becomes a member of different groups. Siddhartha learns many new things from being in this group about finding self and life in general. He learns many new things from teachers and teaching. Throughout his long life journey Siddhartha is exposed to teachers and their teaching: < you just said that beautiful courtesan Kamala, a rich merchant Kamaswami and the Ferryman Vasuveda.

I have to be honest. Your use of the word "many" makes me wonder, "many what?" The same is true with "different." This opening paragraph needs more substance. Read it again, and any time you say "many" answer the question, "many what" and incorporate those things into the paragraph. You don't have to tell the whole story in the first paragraph, just enough to intrigue the audience. "many" is not enough for me.

I will be back tomorrow night to read this again and post some more suggestions.
Blue skies! Jeannie
harsha9 1 / 3  
1 you have used "siddhartha" a lot of times try to use more of pronouns.
2 i liked your conclusion but your intro needs to be rewritten
3 the essay also has many grammatical errors .
4 use the 1st para to inform the reader of what you are going to speak about and end each para with a slight detail of what you are going to speak in the next para.

5 try to use a variety of words you have used the same words again and again

Home / Writing Feedback / essay about Siddhartha's Teachers