TOEFL Essay "What single item would you take on a one year trip?"

Irrational 6 / 13  
Hello guys,

an additional attempt towards the TOEFL setting. This time it is a description task.

Imagine that you are preparing for a trip. You plan to be away from your home for a year. In addition to clothing and personal care items, you can take one additional thing. What would you take and why? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

The issue at hand is to decide, what single item I would take on a one year trip. This is a fascinating question, because by thinking about it I might learn about myself. After careful consideration, I believe that I would take my melodica with me. I came to this conclusion, because the melodica would enrich my whole trip as well as remind me of home, for reasons stated below.

Firstly, I feel that I should explain what a melodica is. A melodica is an about 40cm long instrument. You produce an air stream by blowing into its opening. Similar to a harmonica or a flute you press keys to make differently pitched sounds. The keyboard resembles a piano keyboard. The sound of a melodica is something between a saxophone and a harmonica.

To start with the reasons, I believe my personal item should be something that can intrigue me for a whole year. An instrument fulfills this condition perfectly. As soon as you start to learn an instrument, you will never reach the point of being finished. There is always more to discover, let it be within Jazz improvisation or a slightly different interpretation of Bach classics. Thus my melodica would serve as an endless well of possibilities and inspiration.

Secondly, music is the world's best understood language. It enables me to communicate with foreign people despite not knowing their tongue. If I go on a one year trip, I definitely will meet new people. Thus, my melodica would be a great way to find out about cultural differences and similarities. Since the melodica is easy to play for anybody who plays piano, I can quickly connect to people by sharing the joy of blowing a melodica.

In addition, the melodica would be a reminder of my home country. Whenever I feel homesick, I could play German songs and feel closer to my home culture. This is also a great way to spread my cultural experience to the people I meet on my trip.

To sum it up, my melodica would be the one personal item to take on a one year trip. I made this choice, because my melodica resembles a great bond towards home and enriches my whole trip through its endless possibilities of joy and communication.
Hi,

Firstly , I feel that I should explain what a melodica is. A melodica is a musical instrumentan about 40cm long instrument . To play this instrument, yY ou need to produce an air stream by blowing into its opening. Similar to a harmonica or a flute you should press keys to play different notesmake differently pitched sounds . The keyboard resembles a piano keyboard. The sound of a melodica is something between a saxophone and a harmonica.
jazzmeen 3 / 15  
To start with the reasonsFor some reason , I believe my personal item should be something that can intrigue me for a whole year. AnThis instrument fulfills this condition perfectly. As soon as you one starts to learn an instrument, one will never reach the point of ending. There is always more to discover, let it be within Jazz improvisation or a slightly different interpretation of Bach classics. Thus, my melodica would serve as an endless well of possibilities and inspiration.

This revision sounds better..

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL Essay "What single item would you take on a one year trip?"