GRE Essay on "skepticism in student's learning"

natz 1 / 1  
Hi
I'm taking up GRE this month. I don't have much guidance in preparation. Would very much appreciate if someone can give feedback on my essay.

The task is to analyze the following issue:
"Students should bring a certain skepticism to whatever they study. They should question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively."

Here goes my essay:

The author suggests that students should not blindly accept what is being tutored to them. It is essential to accede to the facts after thorough analysis. However, skepticism can be an overstatement when it comes to educating the young mind. Undue skepticism wrecks the rate of learning in a child.

Skepticism is prevalent to the study of physical science. For example, the Roman Catholic church propagated in their teachings that the Earth is flat. Some great thinkers like Galileo failed to accede to such claims and vehemently opposed the Church's authority. It was his sense of reasoning that provoked him to contradict the Church's advocation. In modern days, it is typical of a researcher or a scientist to probe into every aspect of a thesis and conclude to a result with sufficient evidence, leaving no doubt to the readers. The value of skepticism is not limited to physical sciences. In fields of political science, students must not be prejudiced and should assert their doubts without hindrance to gain a better stand point. Skepticism is, in fact, key to success in legal science. Lawyers are adept in it as it helps them demystify their clienteles' claims. Thus, skepticism is inherit in every field of study.

Skepticism can be closely related to man's sense of reasoning. When a question is raised, the response may trigger another question. This kind of iteration will result in better understanding. For example, to answer why the rainbow is colorful requires the need to understand the concept of refraction. This can further provoke one to ask the difference between reflection and refraction. This kind of learning process is more retentive than direct dissipation of knowledge.

As the author contends, it is prudent to question whatever we study. However, the use of "skepticism" by author seems to be an overstatement. If one questions everything, then it is plausible that many questions go unanswered, which will ultimately result in lack of learning. This is most evident in the context of educating young mind. While imparting the basics of education, a child can be encouraged to experiment and learn than to question. This will ensure that they clearly delineate the subtle difference between critiquing and mere questioning.

In conclusion, we can infer that skepticism is the incentive to make progress. It should be encouraged in students at all but the most basic levels of education.

Thanks in advance :)
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
A few thoughts about content:

(1) You are assuming that "student" means "child." But you are applying to graduate school. Obviously, "students" come in all ages.

(2) Your strongest argument, concerning the decisive role of skepticism in scientific advancement, goes against rather than for your thesis as stated in your introduction although it is consistent with your thesis as stated in your conclusion.

(3) Your challenge to the word "skepticism" as an overstatement is maybe not justified by the definition of that word.

(4) You offer no supporting evidence for the strong claim that undue skepticism "wrecks the young mind."

A few thoughts about form:

(1) You have two different and contradictory thesis statements.

(2) You use the word "man" -- do you mean only male adults? If not, use a more inclusive term, such as "people."

(3) You keep referring to "the author" as if you were responding to a quotation. But you've simply been asked to respond to an idea. Respond to the idea without reference to some mythical "author."
OP natz 1 / 1  
hey
thanks a lot for your feedback.. this is my first attempt at any essay.. will keep your points in mind and improvise.

thanks
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
will keep your points in mind and improvise.

Improvise? Or, revise?
Kahollavan81 4 / 6  
I'm taking the gre this month as well. Your essay seems pretty good. Your illustration of both ways of learning something is convincing. I would change the word "man" to somehting else. An example of how excessive skepticism can wreck a young mind would strengthen the last paragraph. Good luck!
Your essay mainly seems to be arguing in favor of the idea, rather than against it as your introduction suggests. You should in fact point out some of the problems with too much skepticism, but only to either dismiss them or to point out the limits within which skepticism is acceptable. Simply stating that it is bad contradicts your actual thesis.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE Essay on "skepticism in student's learning"