Skepticism in students' study---GRE ISSUE

bluebonnet 1 / 1  
Hi, I'm going to take GRE anaysis writing test next month.
I think I may have some troubles in expression.
Please give me some advice on my eassy, and I'll really appreciate it.

topic:
"Students should bring a certain skepticism to whatever they study. They should question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively."

I strongly agree with the speaker's assertion that students should bring a certain skepticism to whatever they study rather than blindly accept what is taught to them.

As to the understanding of the courses, skepticism ensures the students a deeper understanding and a more retentive memory. From doubts, experiments to solution, it can make the learning process more retentive than direct acceptance of knowledge from teacher. Moreover, when a question rose, the respond may trigger another one, by solving these questions the students can widen their knowledge and broaden their eyes. For example, by questioning why the sky is blue, one needs to learn about scattering. And this provoke one asks further questions like the difference between reflection and scattering. On the other hand, skepticism is not only benefits students, but also boost the improvement of quality of instruction. As we know, college campus is a place where teachers and students get involved in a common pursuit for knowledge and truth. Thus skepticism, which provokes questions, and discussions and further learning, which solves questions, not only students but also teachers ultimately can get a truly deep understanding of the courses. Therefore, the quality of instruction can be improved.

The value of skepticism is not limited to the understanding school courses. In terms of the further study and career, it still regards as a key factor.

First of all, skepticism is the starting point of creativity. In history, there are numerous examples indicating that science advances because of rising questions from existing theories. For example, Ernest Rutherford, known as the founder of nuclear physics, directed the famous Geiger-Marsden experiment in 1909, which arouse Rutherford's doubt on the Plum Pudding Model of his teacher Thomson. This doubt directly let to the development of the Rutherford Model of the atom, and eventually to the Bohr Model. In modern days, it's typical for a researcher or a scientist to probe into every aspect of a thesis or scientific assumptions and conclude to a result with sufficient evidence, leaving no doubt to the readers.

Furthermore, in the field of social science like business, policy and law, skepticism ensures a more roundly analysis with no prejudices. Skepticism is, in fact, the key to business and legal success. For instance, chief and managers of enterprises have to handle it because an investment project needs them gather around to think over and discuss every possible situation that may suffer during the practice of the project. And lawyers are adept in it as it can help them demystify their clienteles' claims. Thus, skepticism is inherited to every fields of study.

In summary, skepticism must be maintained for it lead to a deeper understanding of knowledge, more creative and roundly thoughts. Therefore, students should be encouraged to bring a certain skepticism in whatever they are learning.
Doubts lead to experiments, and experiments lead to deeper understanding, to solution, it and in this way skepticism can make the learning process more retentive than direct acceptance of knowledge from teacher.

On the other hand, skepticism is not only a benefit to students, but it also contributes to t he improvement of quality of instruction. As we know, the college campus is a place where teachers and students get involved in a common pursuit for knowledge and truth. Thus, through the application of skepticism, which provokes questions a nd discussions and further learning, which solves questions, students but also and teachers ultimately can get ...

The value of skepticism is not limited to the understanding school courses. With regard to further study and career, it remains a key factor.

Thus, skepticism is inherent in every field of study.

Great thoughts, great reflection. Even though you have a few errors, the essay shows deep thinking and understanding.

Home / Writing Feedback / Skepticism in students' study---GRE ISSUE