'smiling at my own face' - AN ESSAY ABOUT MYSELF...WHAT MAKES ME 'ME'

Guest /  
Essay

It was december-a bright frozen day in the early morning. It was 10 in the morning

and I was still in my bed. You never want to leave your bed with it's warmth in

winters and with me was my Lethargy-my childhood friend. It was compelling me stay

in the bed but somehow I managed to fight it down and jumped off my bed rubbing the

sleep from my eyes. Like everyday I brushed, bathed, got ready and stood in front

of my mirror combing my hair. I stopped for a while and admired myself. I stood

there thinking to myself- Who I am? And my humour reminded me of an essay which I

wrote on myself as a pre-primary student. "I am Khan. I study in

eleventh standard in City montessori school. I have two brother and sisters." Being in a

philosophical mood I bridled my humorous thoughts and began to examine myself

closely. I am unique and I am a first-rate version of myself and no one can be like

me.It took nineteen years to create who I am today. Within these years, I have been

given the freedom to explore the world in order to satisfy my curiosity toward all

the strange and wonderful things in the world around me. And there, I was standind

like a stupid smiling at my own face.
I am an ambitious person. I have aspirations flying high to the zenith. I

want to be a world-class engineer, an Idol for others, an inspiration, a legend. In

a nutshell, I want to be "Great". But the problem with me is that I only have

mammoth desires but compared to them my efforts are close to nil. All credit goes

to Lethargy. To achieve my goal I need to take a path that suits me. It may be some

art, like music. I have a great interest in music and I like singing and playing

piano. I want to learn piano but going for piano classes after returning from my

school is really a big deal for me, I am so weary after the long day at school. So

many lectures, loads of work, scolding from teachers, makes me too tired to attend

any extra classes. And so I still have a desire, only a desire to learn piano. No

luck here. I always curse luck for my problems though I know it all depends on me,

how I construct it.
And so I need to find some other way to become "great"!! I love painting and

sketching. I mostly draw cartoons. So being a cartoonist would also be another

option to reach my goal. But I think, being a cartoonist will not give me the

recognition which I really. So even this will not work.
Now, the only alternative I am left with is going with another interest of

mine, computers. That's why I aspire to be an engineer, a software engineer. I have

an exceptional interest in computer science. I love programming and hope to create

something, some software, that goes world-wide and become a great sensation. To be

an engineer all I need is to concentrate in my studies and no need for any extra

classes and all that. But even in this case, I get bored sometimes. That's why I am

one of those students who study at the very last moment. My parents ask me why do I

study at the last moment, burning the midnight oil and waisting the fuel when I

have the sunlight throughout the day. My answer always remains: "That's how I am!!

I know I'll forget everything if I study beforehand."
My statement is true, indeed! Atleast for me. I know who I am and how I do

the things. I have my weaknesses, I know them. I am lazy, sometimes indisciplined

(some people may say I am always but that's there opinion), sometimes disobedient,

sometimes mean, a lot of times stingy, sometimes unpuntual and 'argumentative'. I

put 'argumentative' in inverted commas because this is the one thing for which I

have been scolded a thousand times from my teachers, my parens, almost all my

elders. I remember once being thrashed for arguying with a teacher. Bad memories,

horrible! And there maybe more elements in my list of vices which others would be

knowing because I never know what kind of behaviour is liked by someone whom I

don't know. Some of my habhits,my friends would like but some other people, they

would not like them. My persona also depends upon the point of view of the

people.Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,

their lives a mimicry,their passions a quotation. But I don't want to belong to

their category, so giveway to their opinion and try to improve but still, I don't

get overwhelmed by what they say. Afterall, they should also learn something,

something like- "to accept the realtiy!" You cannot always make things go in your

way, how you want them! I am what I am, I can't change so much as to lose my real

self! It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are

not!!
I am a balanced person. I've plus points as well to counteract so many

negativitites. I am optimistic, thoughtful, frank, loyal, honest(sometimes not, but

mostly), cool-minded, religious(I am nothing without my God) , etc. etc. I am a

little emtional but I am not able to express myself most of the times.I really

don't think that anyone in this world knows the real me. My closest friends know me

better than anyone else, but I don't think I've ever let certain sides of me come

out around anyone except myself. I keep some feelings hidden because no one would

understand, and even if they did understand, there wouldn't be anything that anyone

could do to make the feelings disappear. I don't cry on mishaps though I feel bad

on the inside but I always try to hide things behind my smile. I am humorous. I

love humour. Humour is something that can change a sob into a laugh.Quoting

Mr.Henry Ward Beecher-"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without

springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road." But sometimes there are

situations in which humour is least effective, instead, it may hurt somebody.There

is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and

hurt. So humour is something to be 'handled with care'. And there are many things

about, that I still have to explore. Life is a process of self discovery. As life

goes we face new experiences, we are filled with new ideas, sometimes even our

attitude even changes. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist,

that is all. I believing in living life kingsize and not just existing.
I am one only one of my kind. There's nobody like me in the whole galactic

system.I am Me. In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me. Everything

that comes out of me is authentically mine, because I alone chose it. I own

everything about me: my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions,

whether they be to others or myself. I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my

fears. I own my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes. I have the

tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive, and to make sense and

order out of the world of people and things outside of me. I own me, and therefore,

I can engineer me. I may not be perfect and I know I'm not but whatever I am, I am

proud of it!!
And still I was standing there like a stupid smiling at my own face

forgetting that I'm already late for my school. I was late for my school and even

got scolding and was made to stand outside the principal's office. I was standing

there, merely a point on this earth but uncomparable to anybody else on this planet.

I am Khan.

I'll be highly obliged if you check this essay for some corrections as well as help out with improving the grammar. How to beautify my essay?! Please help me out as soon as possible...have to submit my assignment the day after!!
KhanhZ 5 / 131 7  
Hello,
follow the forum rules and don't write your thread title using only capitals, OK?

morning. It was 10 in the morning

repetition of "morning"

It was december -- a bright frozen day in the early morning. It was 10 in the morning
and I was still in my bed.

don't forget to write months in capitals( December)

I revised a lot of words and some sentences, I didn't mark all of them.

whoof! that was a long essay. The start was good, but the last parts got worse in quality: too much repetitiveness and sloppiness. yeah, and biggest problem in your essay is the tone. I revised and fixed as much as I could, but you still need to invest more time in your work, especially the other half.
OP Guest /  
Oh thanks! Thanks a lot for those!! :D
OP Guest /  
I mean thanks a lot for making those corrections and try to shorten the essay and improve the latter part of the essay...!! :)
KhanhZ 5 / 131 7  
Yeah, Glad to help.)
OP Guest /  
That awkward moment when you read your old posts... Like, damn! T_____T

So, to everyone reading it now, let's just pretend that you didn't read it and carry on with our lives. :P
Thank you and have a nice day!

Home / Writing Feedback / 'smiling at my own face' - AN ESSAY ABOUT MYSELF...WHAT MAKES ME 'ME'