Is society's admiration for famous people beneficial or harmful?

regc92 1 / -  
The haves and the have-nots, the famous and the unknown-- these are the apparent faction of today's population. Is this idea a reflection of true social formation, or only a common misconception, another miserable outcome of the new materialistic world? Two answers, one good and the other bad, follow the question. The good news is that in fact, the idea is a misconception. The bad news, however, is that people are unknowingly deceiving and harming themselves with admiration for celebrities, nevertheless of the good-ol' truth.

The core of the problem is that celebrities are like Barbie dolls or auto-bots that we as kids got for Christmas. The wrapping papers on the boxes proudly advertised that the toys were "as seen on TV." However, that line was only half true. Our ballerina Barbie's hair never glittered more when it was paired with nutcracker Ken; the auto-bots creaked and even broke when we tried to reassemble them into dream cars. Real life celebrities are just not as seen on TV and magazines.

Yet, what are we, are we not those who so stubbornly believe only what we see? If TVs would not show us the bitter reality of celebrities, so be it- we will only believe in the sweet lives they live. It is not long after that we would begin to mourn over the wide gap that divides our "comparably imperfect" and "comparably pungent" lives.

We ought to know that "glam and fab" is not all that define celebrities' lives. Behind the curtains are their true selves and humane puddles of hardships that you and I go through everyday. The only reason they appear perfect is because media filters out that imperfection to disguise stars into perfect beings. It makes the "average" people -which should in fact include the celebrities as well- seem inferior to the created masks it shows us.

Come to think of it, it is not the media's fault that it only shows the pretty sides of celebrities. It is up to the public to admire not only what we see, but also what is behind it all. For admiration for famous people, when practiced without discretion, truly is harmful to society.
The bad news, however, is that people are unknowingly deceiving and harming themselves with admiration for celebrities -- oblivious to the simple truth.

Maybe that is better? You used nevertheless wrong.

You need another sentence to clarify the 2nd paragraph: Real life celebrities, like toys advertised on television, are not "as seen TV."

This is great! Very impressive and thoughtful. I think you should watch Michael Moore's new film called Capitalism and see how that affects your thinking about this subject. Kind regards,

Kevin

Home / Writing Feedback / Is society's admiration for famous people beneficial or harmful?