a society's ideas and values revealed by observation of its people---GRE

MrTom 6 / 13  
I need your advice and suggestion. Thank you for your time. :)

*****************************************************************
TOPIC: ISSUE208 -
"The way people look, dress, and act reveals their attitudes and interests. You can tell much about a society's ideas and values by observing the appearance and behavior of its people."

People's perspectives will influence their appearance while their opinions usually decide their behavior. In a not dissimilar way, a society's ideas and values often affect its people's outlook and actions. Thus I agree with most parts of the saying. However, when it comes to some occasions, the assertion may not work well.

We discuss this assertion with ruling out the special situation such as a more conservative culture in which people do not show their real attitudes or a country suffers from poverty in which people's clothing are the same because short of resources and material. Individual's appearance and behavior can reflect his/her attitude and interests under normal circumstances. Clothing, as an example, is of enormous kinds and could help us retrieve some information about individuals. Nevertheless, the number of people who wear business suits is great and they all look the same. Thereby, we should combine the behavior together to gain the effective reflection. The fact that a person who wears a sport outfit runs in the street everyday morning could be an indicator of healthy awareness, positive attitude. The reflection from a man in business suit and always walks in hasty speed might be attitude of punctuality and efficiency concerned. This information is perhaps not accurate, but is capable of revealing some basic points of people's characteristics.

However, when it comes to a society which composes by groups of people. Merely observing the outlook and the actions of single person is far from enough and sometimes is misleading. Since every individual has his/her own attitudes and values differ from others', it is hard to generate any essential points of the society. Thus, only the majority's common behavior and appearance could be treated as a signal of the society's ideas or values. For instance, when one first comes to Japan, he/she will be surprised by the polite way people behave such as bowing to others for appreciation. Therefore, the main value of Japan is highly concerned about polite. Another example is the United States, most people dress up themselves whatever they like, no matter how exaggerate that might be. And people talk about everything they want to. All these signals suggest an atmosphere of freedom which is an essential value of the American society.

Moreover, when it comes to some more hidden, deep-rooted values and ideas, the observation is impossible to function well. On the other hand, there are many other factors which should be taken into consideration when one try to study these moral standers or perspectives of a society such as history, literature, art, education and mass media. A solid argument is that nobody would has any ideas about another major value of Japanese--militarism without referring to their history and education. And people will be shocked when they know that American used to be a country with a dark and cruel slave system when they ignoring to observe its history and literature. Thereby, they are unable to reveal the value of rights awareness.

Summing up, individual's attitudes and interests to some extent could be revealed by their appearance and behavior. Even if the majority's actions and outlook could help retrieve the values and ideas of a society, other factors should not be overlooked.
However, when it comes to a society which composes by groups of people, merely observing the outlook and the actions of single person is far from enough and sometimes is misleading. ---I put these 2 sentences together. They needed to be a single sentence, or the first one would be incomplete. But, I want to also tell you that this does not make sense: which composes by groups of people. I don't know what you are trying to say there.

Another example is the United States, where most people dress up themselves whatever they like, no matter how exaggerated that might be.

Moreover, when it comes to some more hidden, deep-rooted values and ideas, the observation is impossible to function well. The last part of this sentence does not make sense, and I don't know how to fix it.

When you say individual and use 's it is like this: individual's
But when you say individuals and use 's it is like this: individuals'

Summing up, individuals' attitudes and ...

:-)
OP MrTom 6 / 13  
Thank you, Kevin. Your advice is really helpful :)
So every sentence should clearly express some ideas so that it makes sense , right?

Besides,
Moreover, when it comes to some more hidden, deep-rooted values and ideas, the observation is impossible to function well.
In the last part , I'm trying to say that observing only people's outlook and behavior may not reveal some hidden ,deep-rooted values and ideas such as cultures and ideologies.

Well, that much is obvious. Kevin made a correction that turned an incomplete sentence into a complete one.

Here is an example of an incomplete sentence:
However, when it comes to a society which composes by groups of people. ---This is not complete. It is only half a sentence.

Moreover, when it comes to some more hidden, deep-rooted values and ideas, the observation is impossible to function well. Unclear.
In the last part , I'm trying to say that Moreover, observing only people's outlooks and behaviors may not reveal some hidden, deep-rooted values and ideas associated with cultures and ideologies.---This is a beautiful sentence. I made some small changes, but they were not important. You wrote a great sentence here when you were explaining what you meant! :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / a society's ideas and values revealed by observation of its people---GRE