Someone is worth us telling the truth, someone isn't.

Frank zhao 5 / 10  
Question:'Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship'
This is my first time to write a TOEFL essay. I hope you can give me some advice in detail, so that I can do better in the second time. It is more than fine if you can share some TOEFL independent writing tips. Thanks a lot.

Essay:
Telling the truth plays a very importance role in our relationship, but it doesn't mean that always telling the truth should be the first consideration in any relationship. Someone is worth us telling the truth, someone isn't. Someone needs the truth, someone doesn't need it. If we thought it more deeply, not telling the truth is not equal to lying, sometimes we lie just because we are more considerate.

There is no doubt to tell to the truth when the truth is what the listener expects to hear. The question is whether we should tell the truth when it is something may make the listener feel angry or offended, for example the listener's fault. I think the answer depends on who the listener is. If the listener is your close friend or who you love or who is seeking the truth, of course you should keep honest and loyal without hesitation. However, what if the listener is an arrogant guy who never take others suggestion? Those fools need no truth but praise, just like the emperor wearing nothing processing proudly. Would you take a risk to tell him the truth, which benefits him nothing but may make you get attacked or rejected, or be implicated into some worse situation? I will think twice in this case.

Not telling the truth does not always mean that you are lying. Sometimes we just say the event in another way to let the information we want to express meanders rather than spouting out, in which way, the truth can be easier to be accepted, rather than shock the listener. For example, you want to tell a mother that her daughter got injured in an accident and is in hospital now. Instead of telling the weak mother the bad news directly, you may describe the new in another way, in which it sounds less serious. Sometime lying is harmless, even is beneficial to the listener in another way, that is, the white lie. Some cancer sufferer will never be told the illness they get. Because the truth will make they feel hopeless, that is, be defeated by the afraid of death.

As you can see, some people do not worth us to take a risk to tell them the truth. In some special cases, the truth does harm to the listener while the lie benefits them in another way. So I don't think always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship. What is the most important one depends on what kind of the relationship is.
ajit88rai 22 / 188 3  
u have made a lot of grammatical mistakes. U need to do two things- first find a very good grammar book and one for translation too. Learn how to translate your native language into English and vice-versa.

-the points u have stated are very good,but the grammatical mistakes will cost you a lot.

good luck and cheers
OP Frank zhao 5 / 10  
Thanks a lot. I am sorry to have so many grammar mistakes in my essay. I will try to avoid making that kind of mistakes next time.
so many grammar mistakes in my essay.

We all make grammar mistakes. It's okay. The great thing is that you have brilliant philosophical ideas.

I think it is true that you cannot always tell the truth, just as you cannot always avoid a fight. Fighting is not good, and lying is not good, but in this world we need to take care of ourselves.

Some people are worth telling the truth, and other people are not. Some people need the truth, and others do not need it.

If we think about it more deeply, not telling the truth is not equal to lying, and sometimes we lie just because we are more considerate.

Please practice typing those sentences above. Practice by typing each of them 10 times!! That is the way to remember the correct grammar.

Also, try typing the essay again when you have time. Make the corrections given here, and practice typing it at least twice. Then, we will look to see if you still have errors.

Home / Writing Feedback / Someone is worth us telling the truth, someone isn't.