SOP for a mechanical engineering master's at KFUPM

salami 2 / 2  

the additive manufacturing's (AM) potential

My recent experience as a 3d printing intern opened my eyes to additive manufacturing's (AM) potential. I had previously planned on furthering my education in the domain of multi-axis machining. However, with the advent of COVID-19 and the use of AM to engineer quick solutions to salient problems, my focus shifted. I discovered AM's vital role in Industry 4.0 and its ability to exploit computational tools like topology optimization to manufacture sustainable lightweight parts. I was inspired! Instantly, I knew AM was my calling, and I worked towards that. Despite my efforts, I came to the stark realization that I lacked the expertise to get ahead. I wondered, at my current state, if I was capable of effecting significant progress. With a mechanical engineering master's at KFUPM, my breakthrough will be imminent. KFUPM, I believe, is the ideal location to study how sustainability can be attained by applying topology optimization to lightweight additively manufactured parts.

After careful perusal and cross-examination of the mechanical engineering graduate bulletin, I learnt that the material and manufacturing program aligns perfectly with my goals and interests. The program incorporates multiple modules that line up with my research interest. Coursework like ME 587 would equip me with the prerequisite skills to draw on the unique advantages that AM equips engineers with, such as light-weighting. Modules 581 and 586 will provide a springboard to effectively apply computational tools such as Finite Element Analysis and CAD for my intended research within the university and beyond. Likewise, ME 672 would present an opportunity to utilize the knowledge acquired in the abovenamed modules for effectively deploying manufacturing processes in real-world situations.

Further, I firmly believe that Dr xxxxxxx would be an excellent fit as a potential supervisor. In addition to his expertise in powder bed fusion, his other skillsets in AM processes like xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx is highly admirable. He has also published numerously in highly reputed journals such as the Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. I am particularly interested in the research and projects he executed that demonstrated FEA's relevance and importance in design, simulation and manufacturing. I am positive working with him in the Reverse Engineering and Rapid Prototyping Lab will be an enlightening and insightful experience.

With the rare opportunity to study at KFUPM, expectations will unquestionably be lofty. Nonetheless, my previous experiences have prepared me for that. The numerous MOOCs, internships and courses I have engaged in have elevated my skills. My experience as a machining intern has qualified me with the knowledge and skillset of utilizing numerous traditional and CNC machines, which has strengthened my background in manufacturing processes. My internship at xxxxxxxx also helped build a strong foundation for my intended research and pursuit in AM. It availed me the opportunity to comprehend the importance of AM to Industry 4.0. My undergraduate project-based thesis was also an avenue for me to learn and apply skills like FEA, CAD and machining to design and fabricate an electric lawnmower. I have also taken MOOCs and courses that helped developed my knowledge in digital manufacturing and computational tools. Furthermore, as an undergraduate, I received a prestigious annual merit scholarship by Total E&P.

Conclusively, with my career goal of emerging as a leading researcher in AM, KFUPM is a natural progression due to the facts mentioned earlier. In the same manner my eureka moment came about during my 3d printing internship, I do not have a shred of doubt that many more of such moments shall occur during my journey at KFUPM. Researching the application of topology optimization in AM parts is an exciting venture for me. With my unwavering desire to work hard and achieve my goals, I am confident of making a positive contribution to the learning environment at KFUPM.
The essay misses out on the whole point of the statement of purpose. What is the purpose of the study? What professional application will the additional studies have? What the the goal of the student? How is it relevant to his current and future occupational targets? Alignment of interests is one thing, but actually stating and relating these to the line of study are another presentation altogether. These need to spelled out. This is a written interview afterall. Specifics are required. Less of the wandering thoughts and more of a focused discussion. While the work experience is notable in relation to the course, the undergraduate foundation that will be the proof required that one will be a successful student. Having an undergraduate understanding of the required courses will mean that he will be capable of performing and accomplishing the class requirements. Prove to be an asset to the class instead of a liability through undergraduate and other training preparations relevant to this course. The professor discussion is not relevant at this point. That should be presented in the study plan if one is required of the applicant.

Home / Writing Feedback / SOP for a mechanical engineering master's at KFUPM