'soul-searching and life experience' - SAT Essay (1-12)

whynotzoidberg 1 / -  
As we grow older, our experiences allow us to develop a better understanding of ourselves. Therefore, one who seeks self-transparency needs to gain life experiences. Three great places to start include making friends, making mistakes, and trying new things.

One of the most famous friendships in literature is that of Huckleberry Finn and Jim. Time and time again, their friendship forces Huck to evaluate his own morals and values. At one point in the novel, Huck contemplated for a long minute whether or not to turn Jim in, as he was, after all, a run-away slave. His decision not to contributed in his understanding of himself and his belief in the importance of loyalty. Just as significant are the parallels that often run between friendships. Both Huck and Jim were running away from society; Huck was trying to escape from comformity while Jim was evading slavery. One can learn much about oneself through the examining his or her friends.

People can also acquire a great deal of knowledge about themselves through mistakes. In Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, we can see how Pip's mistakes in his youth allow him to become the person he truly wants to be. For example, Pip's discovery that the criminal Magwitch was his secret benefactor and not the wealthy Miss Havisham helped him realize that one's social standing is not the most important quality in a person. Ultimately, through his mistakes, Pip better understands his true values, and matures into the Pip that narrates the story.

Lastly, one can also better understand oneself by simply trying new things. With all that the world and life has to offer, it is practically impossible to have experienced everything. You never know what you might fall in love with. Take for example, Heath Ledger. For most of his teenage years he aspired to be a pro-hockey player. All of this changed when a drama course at school led him to realize that, not only was he incredibly talented at acting, he also really enjoyed it. Opportunities are everywhere, and trying new things is one of the easiest ways to gain a better understanding of oneself.

No amount of thoughtful soul-searching can produce the kind of self-elucidation offered through life experience. Understanding oneself is all about experiences, whether through friends, mistakes, or trying new things. These kinds of experiences offer the most profound and genuine understanding of self that one can get.
sushiwrap 3 / 16 12  
In SAT essays, the readers do not look for perfect grammar, they look for perfect structure. So that is why I won't be correcting any spelling or sytax errors you have and I will be congratulating you on a well-done essay. Your thesis is concise, your topic sentences are on point, and your evidence/commentary are relevant. I appreciate the into and conclusion as well.

If you don't already know how SAT essays are graded, I'll tell you now: Two readers read your essay, each giving it a grade on a scale of 1 to 6. Then, the two scores are then added together to get your overall score. (Sometimes a third reader will examine your essay if the two separate scores are very different like, say, subscores of 3 and 6.)

Therefore, I will pretend that I am a reader and give your essay a 6 (a perfect subscore). :)

Best,
Marisa
bhos 1 / 7 1  
This was a very well written essay in the sense that it included so many examples. A tip I was told was to try and vary sentence structure more that once, whether it be

:colons
;semi-colons
-- dashes
in order to emphasize points and prove that you are able to seamlessly include it in your writing. I would say this could turn a 4 essay into a 5

What I rate your essay: 5 with sound use of examples

Home / Writing Feedback / 'soul-searching and life experience' - SAT Essay (1-12)