Space exploration costs tax payers an exorbitant amount of money each year. -Ielts Task 2 Essay

shaminder42 1 / 1  

Is It Worth It? the Costs and Benefits of Space Exploration

Space exploration costs tax payers an exorbitant amount of money each year. What are the advantages and disadvantage of spending money on space exploration?

There is a huge investment carried out by the government to support space exploration and a large part of it is charged from people in the form of tax. This essay will highlight the benefits and drawbacks that have resulted from this investment.

Looking firstly at the positives, a crucial advantage that investment in space exploration provides is the ability to forecast natural disasters. This is because the satellites that are placed around the earth's atmosphere can monitor the changes going around by detecting any anomalies and passing the information to the connected systems back on the earth. This allows the authorities to prepare better contingency plans which can, in turn, save many lives in the event of any calamity. Besides this, the data collected by space expeditions are extremely helpful in scientific studies. For instance, a recent study by Harvard University stated that how the metrics sent by one of the satellites has helped to discover the impact of gravitational waves on the planet.

However, the investment done on space expeditions does present some disadvantages, the most obvious of which is the infrastructure cost. Although the exploration of space is useful for research work, it requires a large amount of money to manufacture a spacecraft and carry out the operation. Furthermore, many times the launch of spacecraft fails thus resulting in the waste of the money which could have been better spent in other areas to improve people's life. Another significant disadvantage is the loss of human life which sometimes happens when these expeditions fail. For instance, in 2003 all the astronauts who were returning back from moon died due to the malfunctioning of the spacecraft's equipment.

In conclusion, the space explorations are beneficial in terms of forecasting natural calamities and providing breakthroughs in scientific research, it is important to consider the infrastructure cost which they add on and the unlikely events of failure of a spacecraft and its concomitant death of astronauts.
Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
For instance, in 2003 all the astronauts who were returning back from moon died

Not sure where you took this information from, considering the fact that NASA says it is impossible to go to the Moon - proof: youtu.be/Jjt7HpC6w3o (and other related).

Still, the fact that you covered the enormous amount of money spent on space exploration (while so many roads have huge unfixed potholes), is a good way of presenting your argument.
OP shaminder42 1 / 1  
@Rich Monte -Thanks for your feedback . You are right, I incorreclty quoted the example as it was not moon mission.
Thanks again for taking the time to point that out.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
I recommend that you try to be more concise with your language, especially because you are dealing with word counts in these types of essays.

Let's take your first paragraph's introductory sentence as an example. I can revise this as:
In support of space exploration, a huge investment is carried out by the government using people's taxes.

Notice how instead of mentioning that a large part of it is from the taxes of the people, I had simply mentioned that they carried out the investment using these taxes. This simplifies your sentence structure because it encompasses everything you want to say while removing unnecessary parts. It is noticeable how you usually lengthen your sentences; I would therefore suggest that you try to implement this more when you're writing.

For instance, let's look at your second paragraph's second sentence. I could phrase this instead as:
Satellites are placed around the atmosphere to monitor changes through detecting anomalies and passing information back to earth.

Notice how omitting certain key words can greatly enhance your essay. Substantiation does not always pertain to adding a lot of words into the essay. You better instead allocate this space for more concrete content.

I would also watch out for how you transition your sentences. For instance, if we were to look at your third paragraph, you should utilize semi-colons more to have a better flow to your essay. Doing this will vastly improve your structure.

Best of luck.

Home / Writing Feedback / Space exploration costs tax payers an exorbitant amount of money each year. -Ielts Task 2 Essay