To spank or not to spank?

zemsMarwa73 1 / -  
Spanking is one of the largest problems that children face in the world. This problem has become an enormous issue for parents. When it comes to raising a child, there is more than one method. Spanking and hitting the child is the worst method and it in mostly reflect in a bad way. There are lots of kinds of children. There is the kind that is really quiet, the kind that is not that quiet but whenever you tell them something they understand and obey, and the last kind is the most annoying one, and the best explanation to them is the kind that is out of control. Some non-patient parents believe that they are forced to spank their children, because they don't have any choice. [...]
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
I'm assuming this is a persuasive essay, not an informative one...

To Spank or Not to Spank ?

Spanking is one of the largest problems that children face in the world (Ummm... Poverty? War? Even bullying or low self-esteem? Don't start off with such an exaggeration. There's a better way to take a stance against spanking.) . This problem has become an enormous issue for parents. When it comes to raising a child, there is more than one method. Spanking and hitting the child is the worst method and it mostly impacts children in negative ways . There are many of kinds of children. Some are quiet, some are loud but obedient, and some are simply out-of-control. Some impatient parents believe that they are forced to spank their children because they don't have any choice. For too many parents, they are not pretty good with using words with children; that is why they end up using the corporal punishment. Even though, many parents and supporters are for spanking children just because it takes less time, Iview spanking as a form of child abuse, unhealthy for children, and increasing child violence.

(I think you need some more reasons why spanking children is bad, as well as some more understanding about why parents spank their children. To say that parents only spank their kids because they are "not good with using words" or "feel forced to do it" because their children are too bad, or because spanking takes "less time" (for what?) is a BIG generalization that isn't true. Some parents do it in the context of religion, and others only use it as a progression (warning, time-out, spanking) to reinforce their rules, for example.)

Some parents claim that spanking is what a misbehaving child really needs (Try and find some quotes to support your claims.) . They say that when they were their children's age, they used to be spanked by their parents too, and turned out just fine, so why not use the same strategy that their parents did?

Other supporters claim that spanking their children leads to positive results. They assume that it works actively since the child will not misbehave again. Some parents believe their children are more well-behaved than those who do not get spanked. Theythink that children are not aware of what is right and wrong, so they are more likely to misbehave and have an attitude.

Parents' last resort is spanking their children, but how will our nation move forward if they keep taking the old nation's steps of raising a child? (I don't think that how people discipline their children has that big an impact on how our nation moves forward...) The thing is, it may lead to serious issues in children and it could cause a child abuse(Spanking kids as discipline is different from child abuse, and spanking kids does not make parents start abusing their children. I agree that the boundary between what is discipline and what is abuse is a very fine and blurry line, but you cannot claim that all spanking is child abuse) . Moreover, children will lose their self-esteem if their parents keep spanking them constantly (What proof can you give to support this statement?) . Toddlers feel humiliated when they get spanked (Do they? How do you know?). They do not need to be treated like animals just for parents to prove their point(I didn't know people spanked animals...) . As a sign of notice, children are easy to convince(Then why don't they listen the first time asked?) . It is completely inhumane to raise a child like it was a kind of a pet, not to mention that pets are valued like humans to some people.

(I understand that you feel very strongly about not spanking kids, but comparing it to animal abuse could be offensive to readers, not to mention that you really can't compare those two things at all.)

I assume(Never assume in an essay) that corporal punishment leads to child abuse because itmakes the child feels insecure and terrified. Although, parents who avoid spanking do so, it increases the violence in a child. It also increases the risk of child mortality(?!),which seems to be a controversial issue. Why should children lose their self-respect? The answer may be in the back of your mind, but it is actually in front of your eyes once you take the blurriness out.(Just take this sentence out.) Toddlers only get to know what they did is wrong, therefore the children will merely avoid those situations. Why don't they get the chance of having a reasonable clue(This is confusing to me) ? They need a parent that doesn't feel impatient and terribly angry just because they did something they shouldn't do in the first place!

To summarize , each one of us has made foolish mistakes during his/her childhood. Whether society noticed that this major problem might cause so many different problems to children starting with child abuse and violence, and ending with physical, mental, and emotional issue. Not only should parents focus on the whole issue, but also society . Reaching the roots of the dilemma and trying to find the perfect solution to go forward also redefining the problem won't help if you didn't face it now. Anyways, children ; flavor of the life , Are you really proud of giving them an insulting corporal punishment that humiliate them as humans?(These last sentences get progressively more confusing, and the last one, using "You" as the subject, sounds like you're directly insulting the reader.)

OK.. My biggest suggestions: 1. Organization - Pick three or four reasons why spanking is bad and talk about each one in a paragraph, 2. Evidence - Support your statements with quotes or statistics, 3. Tone - Even though you are taking a position, you sound like you are attacking parents who spank their kids. Try to not use words that try to guess their feelings like "angry" or "impatient", and avoid writing "inhumane"!

Best of luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / To spank or not to spank?