Spending money on existing public transport or constructing new railway lines for very fast trains?

shuyuan 1 / 1  
IELTS Academic writing task 2:

In a number of countries, some people think it is necessary to spend large sums of money on constructing new railway lines for very fast trains between cities. Others believe the money should be spent on improving existing public transport.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

In recent years, when travel demand has become a major thing, the development of transportation is also raised as a big issue that people concern about. Some people argue that paying for building new high-speed railways is compulsory while others believe that it is better if that money will be spent on optimizing presenting transportation. This essay will look into both views and point my opinion.

To begin with, some people tend to be paying money to repair the old things instead of buying new ones since they do not want to spend much. This tendency is similar to the transportation field. However, the more fixing times, the more money people have to pay. As an alternative, if the problems occur in the major body of the machines, the money that people have to spend will be the same as buying the new ones which have higher technology and provide a complete function.

On the other hand, others think that spending money on constructing brand new train lines for high-speed vehicles is necessary to improve the moving between different places, leading to saving time. For instants, in Taiwan, while people have to spend 5 to 6 hours going from Taipei to Kaohsiung, they spend only 2 or 3 hours if they take the high-speed trains. Hence, it is needed to spend money to establish modern transportation.

Take everything into consideration, I believe that due to the possibility of wasting time and money on out-of-date vehicles, it is a better way to build new railways than keep paying to fix the old public transport.
The writer has word usage issues in the presentation. compulsory has a far different meaning from necessary:

Necessary - Adjective; being essential, indispensable, or requisite
Compulsory - Adjective ; required; mandatory; obligatory:

The writer must familiarize himself with synonyms in order to use alternative words of the same meaning in his writing. Misuse of words create 2 counts of scoring deductions based on the scoring criteria.

The essay is incomplete and cannot be considered for a passing score for 2 reasons:

1. The personal opinion paragraph lacks a complete discussion development. It lacks supporting examples and additional supporting details in relation to the sample.

2. There is no concluding summary /reverse paraphrase presentation. The essay is open-ended.
OP shuyuan 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for your time and your advice. I will check again and improve my skills.

Home / Writing Feedback / Spending money on existing public transport or constructing new railway lines for very fast trains?