'Starvation' - Discuss some issue of concern

mohamed459 9 / 27  
Discuss some issue of local. National or international concern and its importance to you

Help please. need last minute advic on how I can make my essay better. All criticism welcomed. Thank you in advance.

______________________________________________________________________ ____________________________
As I exited the cafeteria, I saw a garbage can that was stacked with many trays of untouched lunches. The sight of it irritated me. Another kid was then approaching the garbage can to throw away his lunch and I asked him "Why did you get it if you were just going to throw it out?" The kid simply said, "I don't know. It looks disgusting". He threw it out. I was annoyed at how these kids were ungrateful for what they have, but what irritated me more was the fact that they were throwing out food that kids in other countries dreamed of having.

Starvation is an international concern that has existed for a long time now. This concern is most common in third-world countries, mainly in the East African region as of now. It has been reported that in the region of East Africa, eleven-twelve million people are crying hunger. The major reasons for this awful crisis are the severe draught that has struck the area and profound poverty. People are dying in the thousands, whether it is kids, adults, or the elderly. Situations where a family loses kids or adults are so common in these parts, and it won't get any better unless more aid is supplied to these people. All these thoughts just trigger one question in my head: "How can this NOT be important to me or anyone else?"

The importance of this crisis to me lies in the fact that we are all human beings who have feelings. Whether they are feelings of love or hatred, happiness or sadness, pain or relief, we share them universally. When a human just like me is going through such a hardship, the humane response is to help them out and sympathize with them. Also if I were to put myself in a starving person's shoes, I definitely would not enjoy dying slowly from malnutrition or seeing friends and family pass away. These experiences must be agonizing for those who have them, and so as fellow humans we should always try to help each other. Another reason that I feel that we should help those who are starving is because we reduce the chances that this person will resort to crime. A person that is on the brink of death due to starvation may commit murder or theft in order to help him and his family survive. Thus, it is important to me that this crisis be addressed so that stability and safety remain in place. Lastly, by helping those that are hungry, I'm helping them stand back on their feet and build them selves up, and to me that is one of the greatest achievements a person can have. With these ideals in mind, I hope to be able to make an impact in the future concerning this crisis even if it means helping just one person.
adamkot /  
Very good essay but if I was you I would also relate it to how more and more people are growing hungry in the U.S to. For all you know another student at school could be living off food stamps.
OP mohamed459 9 / 27  
I understand, but the problem is horrible in East Africa. Imagine 30,000 people dying of starvation. Compared to Hunger in the U.S I'd say that this on a completely different level.
OP mohamed459 9 / 27  
Any revisions concerning grammar?

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Starvation' - Discuss some issue of concern