Statement of Purpose for MA Fashion Buying and Merchandising/Contemporary Fashion Buying

vidyarthi 1 / -  
Hi,

I am writing a SOP for the MA Fashion Buying and Merchandising/Contemporary Fashion Buying from Istituto Marangoni London/Paris . This is my dream College

Can any one help me on it and provide your value feedback pls - very urgent

Thanks in advance

Statement of Purpose

Fashion, to me is a form of self-expression which has got no limits; it's a vast canvas of scattered thoughts, imagination, emotions and creativity. The clothes you choose, the accessories you wear with it describes you as a person. It gives you an identity of your own. Fashion describes you as a person. Fashion brought renaissance to the mankind. It has enhanced a different view to this world and people were keen now to look through Fashion's eye in each and every step in their life.

I have completed my Bachelors in Fashion Design from MIT Institute of Design in affiliation with University of Creative Art, London in 2017. Since my graduation have working with a Dubai based fashion company, Twisted Roots Garments Manufacturing as the Head Fashion Design and Manager. I oversee the collection development, sourcing, production and sales of the company's own fashion line. I design the collections, source the materials from our international suppliers, develop patterns with the production team, develop a creative vision for the marketing and photoshoots and handle meetings with the buyers along with the CEO of the company. The company also has garment manufacturing and production services which assist other local designers in sampling or larger productions for their collection, which is also managed by myself. So, I currently mange the working of the company's own fashion brand as well as the manufacturing and production services. The main aspect of managing a fashion brand is study the growing market trends and analyze if they could be incorporated within the design language of the brand, meanwhile maintaining an optimum production timeline to have a consistent price range.

I was first introduced to the world of fashion merchandising and buying during my internship in the fashion brand called Max from Landmark Group during my 3rd year of college. I interned for 3 months in the kid's buying and merchandising department, and I was immediately fascinated by the dynamic and creative aspects of the buying and merchandising industry. During this internship I had the opportunity to learn and understand the workings between the buying department, merchandising department and the design department.

My recent managemental work got me excited to pursue my interest in the field of buying and merchandising. During my research I came across the course provided at Istituto Marangoni. Reading more into the learning focus of the program I discern the institute to have one of the best Fashion Buying and Merchandising course out there. I know this would be a great place for me to get my degree in the field that excites me and drives me to be a better designer by understanding the needs and demands of the consumer. One the key learning from my job as a head designer and production manager was to understand the design sensibilities of the region and blend them with the design language of the brand. I know Istituto Marangoni is a place where I can get the best industry leading experience, educational experience and grow and develop the skills I have picked on throughout my career.

I would be very grateful to learn from such outstanding leaders who can give me insight as how to survive and thrive in this desired field.

With the growing environmental concerns relating to fast fashion industry I want to learn and understand the industry in-depth to be able to develop sustainable business plans for fashion brands and be able to contribute to the sustainable fashion movement. I think I can do all these things with my industry experience and with the knowledge that I will be obtaining by attending "MA Fashion Buying and Merchandise/ Contemporary Fashion Buying" course in Istituto Marangoni.

I also believe that travelling and studying overseas will bring a significant transformation in my understanding on international fashion and design aesthetic. The exposure would help me gain firsthand knowledge and experience in different methodologies of working and introduce myself to the rich cultural and ethnic diversity.

I will consider it as an honor if I could study at Istituto Marangoni and grow as a professional. I am confident that I will live up to the high standard set by your prestigious university. I hope to hear from you soon.
The first paragraph is wasting valuable word space. It does not help your essay move forward. The first paragraph should be a clear declaration of your purpose for studies. You have to start this essay off with an impressive hook if you want to interest the reviewer in reading the rest of your essay. In actuality, the purpose of your advanced studies remains unclear throughout the essay. The statement of purpose should indicate a summarized form of your presentation in the first paragraph. Clearly indicating the professional connection of your academic desire to learn to complete an MA in Fashion Buying and Merchandising. You can revise the first paragraph by saying something similar to:

When I was first asked to design and create my own outfit, I decided, that based on my drawings, the material should be (whatever). However, when I began to choose the materials, I realized that what I had in mind and what was actually available were two different things. Thus began my journey to becoming a fashion buyer. Academically, I was backed by (information), professionally, I had a lot to learn. Hence my desire to pursue these studies.

As a fashion designer, I can complete the perfect whatever on paper. Choosing the right materials are a different story. I have found that I lack skills in... Therefore, the most solid representation of my purpose for studies is to ...

This is how I would have approached the essay from the start. Similar paragraphs will help you open with a strong purpose and explanation. Your academic reason for choosing the university is too shallow. Use your academic goals in relation to the course offerings to depict the perfect match between your interests and the ability of the university to educate you. Right now, the essay doesn't really give serious reasons for your choice. The current reasons are too selfish, not really academic related, and relies on basic information about the university that doesn't reflect any true reasons for your university choice. The reviewer will not be impressed by this essay at this point.
iygnit 4 / 7 1  
Overall, you mention about the academic background and work experiences. But you don't talk anything in-depth. You need to give convincing details about your work experience, what you learned, your career interests,etc. You need to demonstrate your qualities using examples.

Rewrite the topic sentence. The first paragraph is really fluffy.
Whatever school you choose, the programme will be looking for a student who will take advantage of what they offer and offer the most back to fellow students. They want students who are proactive and who are generous with their knowledge.At the beginning, you should state the main reasons that inspired you to pursue further studies in this subject at this particular school. For example, I want to pursue my postgraduate studies in Fashion Buying in order to gain a comprehensive insights into A,B,and C. I have a solid background to study this subject for the following reasons: reason A (education background), reason B (work experience),etc.

Home / Writing Feedback / Statement of Purpose for MA Fashion Buying and Merchandising/Contemporary Fashion Buying