A stereotype about America essay

Editor1010 9 / 33  
This is a really long essay, therefore I don't expect people to check this whole essay, however it was be greatly appreciated if you simply gave me your thoughts on it, and whether or not it was a good essay.

Americans are known for being patriotic, the people that will stand up for their country through it all. However, if one thinks about it, even when going out to a local store, they will see that America is full of immigrants and foreigners. People immigrate to America every year in search of finding the American Dream, searching for life they never had and giving it to their children. However, they may soon realize that although this is the life they want, they may not necessarily be wanted here. While driving, on a regular basis I see bumper stickers that say "Stop Buying Foreign." Some Americans believe that countries such as China our hurting our economy and taking our jobs, and because of this are against the idea of immigrants coming here. Though, if one stops and thinks they may see that there is a benefit and a reason behind foreigners coming to America. No one wants to be left out, therefore, foreigners are trying to become part of the crowd, trying to become "American." However, although they may act, dress, and do what Americans do they may still not be accepted and discriminated against. If we put the stereotypes of what we eat, how we dress aside, what do other countries believe an American is?

Stereotypically, France is known for being against immigrants. They are currently trying to deport the foreign Roma (gypsies) that are in their country, because they don't want to change the country that they have lived in France is the country that does not want change. Laws are also being passed against Muslim women wearing the head scarf. This is a perfect example of them not wanting diversity are change. They do not want people coming into their country and changing people's views, or having any influence. France merely wants to be left alone. It is as though France does not want to see the benefits of the foreigners in their country, due to the fact that they are so against them. This is similar to some Americans who are also against foreigners; however, we are the country that has the most diversity. You can see the diversity everywhere that you go, and everywhere that you look you see people in America that are different in various ways. This is a very ironic idea. Although the number of immigrants coming to America may decrease over the years, people will continue to come here. In the essay "The Real Story of the Superheroes," Ducle Pinzon discusses the benefits and reasoning behind immigrants. He shows various examples of little jobs that many people may not want to do, but jobs that immigrants will do. He gives the example of the nanny, the construction worker, and the waiter, who all came here to make money, and is sending it back to their family. An American may never know how such people feel. They may not realize that this is the only option that they may have. Everyone has a reason for the actions they do.

The view of this issue may differ from person to person, and from the people's pasts. My views on this topic may be different than someone else's, simply because my parents immigrated to America, before I was born. In my opinion this is the best thing that they did for me and they had a great reason for doing so. In Turkey, the country from which I am from, it is very difficult to get into a university and begin an education. However, being in America it is much easier. There are various options for someone that doesn't get into a top university. I have many cousins that due to the educational system, wanted to, but did not get into a college. Due to the one life changing decision that my father made, I can now attend a university, and hopefully have a career that I want to pursue. The real answer that I believe one must answer is what is an American? I find myself wondering this question when I ask people where they are from. Many times I receive answers like, Irish, German, and Scottish, perhaps diversity is stereotyped. Are the people in my class whose parents were born here more American than I am? I believe the answer is, no.

Perhaps the biggest stereotypes that other countries have of America are merely the answer to that question of, what is an American. Other countries may see America is being a nationalistic country, but some may not ever realize that American is the most diverse country. America is a country with people that speak different languages and have different skin color. One may not be able to say this about any other country. If one thinks of a French person, they may have one view in mind; if one thinks of an Indian, they may have another. Philippe Legrain's essay "Cultural Globalization is Not Americanization" asks the question of national identity being dead. He claims that people who speak the same language are hardly born near each other. This is the reason I feel it is so hard to answer such a simple question of what an American is. If it wasn't for foreigners America wouldn't be the country that it is today.

A perfect example of diversity in America can be illustrated by the food we eat. Food is another variable that is highly influenced my culture and the area that you live in. However, when thinking about the question of what foods Americans eat, one may find themselves giving answers that are in fact other nationalities dishes. This is due to the fact that from the beginning foreigners have been here and have changed America, for what I believe the better. One may ask anyone or even themselves, and recount what they ate for the past week and the restaurants that they went to. They will find the foods are Mexican, Italian, maybe Arabic dishes. However, there are the typical meals that may come to one's mind that a1re labeled as American, such as a hamburger and fries. America has become such a diverse place over the years. As the years pass more and more changes are becoming of society. However, although places like urban Detroit is very diverse there will always be some states that never experience the full diversity of America. Thus, they may not be as open minded as someone that is living in Detroit. We are seen as the country that is accepting and in my opinion this is a great characteristic to have.

When looking at other countries, often one finds that they are against change. Americans may often get upset that foreigners are taking over our jobs; however, if one were to speak to a foreign country they may be saying the same thing about us. America is known for interfering into other countries, as the years pass, American ideas are spreading to other countries. Other countries are not happy that fast food restaurants from America are taking over their countries. From even this statement, one sees that America is very much different from many countries. Perhaps the answer of what is an American is not so easy to answer. One should ignore all stereotypes of an average American, and look more places to find what a true American is. I believe one will never find the answer to this question, because of the assortment of people in this country. Perhaps, one day every body will be connected together and accepted. Though, there will always be a group of people that are seen as different. The melting pot of America will never stop melting.
diegorivero412 2 / 5  
This is a perfect example of them not wanting diversity AS change.
- you put are, i think you meant to put as

overall awesome essay
collegesearcher 3 / 20  
Just a few corrections:

Americans are known for being patriotic, the people that will stand up for their country through it all. Americans are known for being patriotic, for being the people that will stand up for their country through it all. <there was a grammatical error in the parallel structure>

I have many cousins that due to the educational system, wanted to, but did not get into a college. I have many cousins that wanted to get into a college, but, due to the educational system, did not.

Are the people in my class whose parents were born here more American than I am? I believe the answer is, no. I think you can remove this last sentence and leave the question as a rhetoric because you have made your point very clearly.

America has become such a diverse place over the years. This sentence is a little redundant, considering that you have propounded this very strongly earlier.

The only thing I'm left with is "WOW". :)
Great job Kory!

Home / Writing Feedback / A stereotype about America essay