Stereotypes on the music side - Division And Classification

Reinhardt 2 / 2  
Alright, so this week is a 500 word division and classification essay, I'm having troubles find a way to break subjects down into specific items.

I thought i could do stereotypes on the music side, But theres so many to break it down into. Then I thought I could break that down and focus on one general stereotype, Metalheads. Figuring I could do 1 paragraph about Heavy Metal listeners, 1 about Death/Black Metal listeners, and 1 about Classic Metal listeners, probably in chronological order?

Does this seem ok? Or is there an easier subject maybe?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

There are probably thousands of topics you could choose, so focusing on one which is of interest to you and which you also know something about is a very good idea. It sounds to me as though you've come up with something which is both, and which also will be an interesting subject to read about for someone who never knew Metal had so many different types! It appears you plan to focus on the listeners themselves, rather than the specific characteristics of the music. Presenting the different classes of Metal listeners in chronological order will allow you to discuss the evolution of the music, too. Just make sure that, if the essay is really about the listeners themselves, you don't wander so far off into the music that you lose the focus on the listeners.

I'd be interested to read it once you have a rough draft!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Reinhardt 2 / 2  
here it is, rough draft (Intro paragraph is short I know, I just dont know where to go with it):

Metal music listeners are commonly stereotyped as" Metalheads"; these Metalheads are generally heavily talented, intellectual beings, and the music itself is catalysts towards something greater. However the Metalheads themselves have different styles depending on the sub-genre of Metal. Three most common sub-genres are Heavy, Death, and Nu-Metal.

Most Heavy metal listeners generally listen to the classical Heavy metal from whence it was first developing; Kiss, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest are such bands. This genre sparked one of the most dominant features of a Metalhead, the "Corna" (a hand-signal formed by a fist with the little and index fingers extended, known variously as the "devil's horns", the "metal fist") of which became popular in the 70's from use of artists like Gene Simmons. Metalheads "mosh" (where a group of people would run into each other and push each other away) and/or "head bang" (where the head is vigorously shaken up and down, meanwhile the lower body remains somewhat still); this is a result of the complex rhythms of most metal music that makes more common forms of dance very exhausting. Typically, the early heavy metal fashions comprised tight blue jeans, motorcycle boots and black t-shirts, traditionally adorned with a leather or denim sleeve-less jacket decorated with swag and representations from heavy metal artists. The soon coming Death metal listeners would much change and evolve.

Death metal evolved heavier, deeper, and more distinct than classic Heavy metal, thus the listeners changed with it. Death metal was heavily influenced from the grunge movement. The tight blue jeans began to be replaced with darker colors, if not black jeans that weren't so tight. They grew in size and became a lot baggier and longer, which they would drag past the shoes and become ripped. They were emblazoned with large chains that wrapped around the front and were held up by studded belts. Now that the style of music itself became heavier from its original counterpart, moshing also did such a change. Larger mosh pits would form, more people would join and become more violent, instead of the original pushing, punching, and kicking became a part of the pit.

Nu-Metal is more commonly frowned upon by the Metalheads. The rise of Nu-Metal branched from hip-hop and ghetto cultures. This included the adoption of sportswear, dreadlocks and African-American slang. Unlike the adoption of earlier influences however, these new aspects are particularly disliked as many Metalheads consider Nu-Metal to be a completely different style of music with a totally different culture. This explosion in the popularity of Metalcore (A.K.A. Nu-Metal) has also brought with it changes in fashion specifically as fans of the genre are typically neater in appearance with shorter hair that is usually dyed black, and a favoring of "label" clothing. Many of these newer fans are also seen to be associating themselves with the culture for purely fashionable reasons; otherwise known as "posers".

Influences come from several sources in the average person's life: family, friends, favored attributes, careers, and of course, music. However these influences should be taken with a grain of salt, as each individual should find their own preference. But, there is no stopping the act of stereotyping, thus we have these types such as Metalheads. As a person, they can still be divided further into sub-genres, but that theoretically doesn't change the assumption that they are, a Metalhead.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Your essay has some interesting information! I have some editing suggestions for you:

these Metalheads are generally heavily talented, intellectual beings, and the music itself is a catalyst towards something greater.

The three most common sub-genres are Heavy, Death, and Nu-Metal. Most Heavy metal listeners generally listen to classic Heavy metal which originated with Kiss, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest.

This genre sparked one of the most dominant features of a Metalhead, the "Corna" (a hand-signal formed by a fist with the little and index fingers extended, known variously as the "devil's horns" or the "metal fist") [delete "of"] which became popular in the 70's when used by artists like Gene Simmons.

The Death metal listeners who came after them would change and evolve.

moshing also made such a change.

Larger mosh pits would form, more people would join and become more violent, and instead of just pushing, punching, and kicking became a part of the pit.

This explosion in the popularity of Metalcore (also known as Nu-Metal) has also brought with it changes in fashion, as fans of the genre are typically neater in appearance. They tend to have shorter hair that is dyed black, and favor "label" clothing. Many of these newer fans are also seen as associating themselves with the culture for purely fashionable reasons, giving rise to the nickname, "posers."

However these influences should be taken with a grain of salt, as each individual should find their own preference. - the phrase "taken with a grain of salt" doesn't really fit here.

But, there is no stopping the act of stereotyping, thus we have these types such as Metalheads. - I'm not sure I really follow your logic here. Stereotyping results from observations about something which already exists. The way you have phrased it, it sounds as if the stereotype created Metalheads.

As a person, they can still be divided further into sub-genres, but that theoretically doesn't change the assumption that they are, a Metalhead. - I think I understand what you are trying to say here, but it is a little awkward. Better might be "Although there are many sub-types of Metal listeners, they are all, at heart, Metalheads."

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Stereotypes on the music side - Division And Classification