Essay about "The Story of an Hour"

Hyperfast 2 / 1  
Hello, can someone look at my essay for ENG 101? I just need tips on sharpening it up...mostly the conclusion. Also expanding some of my claims...

vcu.edu/engweb/webtexts/hour/ You can read the short story here

Thanks!!!!

Several pieces of literature convey a reoccurring theme throughout their stories. An example of literature that follows this method is "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin. One of the reoccurring themes in this particular piece of literature is freedom. This harshly ironic short story explores this theme by depicting a woman in an oppressed marriage who learns that her husband 'allegedly' dies and uses that as an opportunity to expand her horizons with a newly found freedom.

When first acknowledged, freedom can be somewhat frightening and unrecognizable.

There was something coming to her. What was it? She did not know. It was too subtle and elusive to name. But she felt it, creeping out of the sky, reaching toward her through the sounds, the scents, the colors that filled the air. (Chopin, The Story of an Hour)

Louise, the wife in the story, did not recognize her newly found freedom at this point. She was fearful of the force that was taking her. She cannot yet grasp the idea that she will supposedly begin a new, independent life after absorbing the news of her husband's abrupt death.

Recognizing a new sense of freedom can often be resented by accepted simultaneously.

She was beginning to recognize this thing that was approaching to possess her and she was striving to beat it back with her will-as powerless as her two white slender hands would have been." (Chopin, The Story of an Hour)

Louise was now recognizing the force that had seized her being, yet she was unconscientiously willing to push it away as the thought of leaving her husband in the past seemed unorthodox and sinister to her. However, being pre-disposed to an oppressed marriage, she guiltily fought her doubts, finally realizing the freedom that she could soon acquire.

After accepting and embracing a newly found freedom, fear diminishes and is often overthrown by the idea that a new and more enjoyable lifestyle could be on the horizon.

And yet she loved him- sometimes. Often she had not. What did it matter? What could love, the unsolved mystery, count for in the face of this possession of self-assertion, which suddenly she recognized as the strongest impulse of her being. (Chopin, The Story of an Hour)

Louise may have loved her husband at times. However, when realizing that she could be metaphorically, 'set free', it didn't matter to her anymore. Her husband was dead.

"The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin is a great piece of literature that explores the theme of freedom. It successfully depicts Louise's transformation of a woman in oppressed marriage to a woman about to embark onto a new lifestyle of freedom and happiness by showing her ambivalent emotions as she progressively starts to accept it.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've written a very good essay! Here are some editing pointers for you:

Louise, the wife in the story, did not recognize her newly found freedom at this point. She was fearful of the force that was taking her. She cannot yet grasp the idea that she will supposedly begin a new, independent life after absorbing the news of her husband's abrupt death. - Watch your tenses. You begin this paragraph in past tense and then switch to present. Analyses of writing are often done in the present tense, though it's not mandatory; just pick a tense and stick with it.

Recognizing a new sense of freedom can often be resented by accepted simultaneously. - Check this sentence; it does not make sense grammatically.

It successfully depicts Louise's transformation from a woman in an oppressed marriage to a woman about to embark onto a new lifestyle of freedom and happiness, by showing her ambivalent emotions as she progressively starts to accept it. - The last part of this sentence is a little awkward. Better might be "by showing her ambivalence and eventual acceptance."

Good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Hyperfast 2 / 1  
Thanks Sarah, I appreciate your help. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay about "The Story of an Hour"