Stress - Cause & Effect essay - having a hard time coming up with a topic

twinsxtwo 4 / 4  
I have to write a cause & effect essay but am having a hard time coming up with a topic. You would think that would be the easy part! =) The only topics that have crossed my mind are: school, technology, and stress. I thought it might be easier to write about something that I can relate to! haha

The only guidelines that were given were: 2-3 pages, double spaced. (pretty broad)

Our teacher is allowing us to use our last couple of papers to lead up to our final term paper, so that is what I'm trying to do. I decided to use the topic of stress since I have already completed the 'cause & effect' paper. Our current paper is a research paper, which is what I'm posting below.

Essentially we can combine our last few papers, (even correcting the markups that the teacher made) to create our term paper. I'm working on a research paper with different information from my cause & effect paper, so that when the time comes, I can incorporate both papers to create my term paper. Hopefully that makes sense...

"I am so stressed out." Most people have probably said those exact words before. Typically, when someone hears the word stress, they picture someone strung out or about to pull his or her hair out. There are an indefinite numbers of things that can cause stress, such as family, high job expectations, relationship problems, lack of rest and so on.

"Family stress can be defined as a real or imagined imbalance between the demands on the family and the family's ability to meet those demands." (From Family Stress to Family Strengths) For example, if a family is forced to put their children in daycare because both parents work, this could place the family under stress. The additional expense of childcare, the scheduling of drop-off and pick-up between the parents, and the evening chores such as: cooking dinner, doing homework, and getting everything ready for the following day. These types of demands are commonly referred to as stressors. "A stressor is a life event or transition that happens in the family. It can be either positive or negative and can cause a change in the family's coping pattern." (From Family Stress)

Job stress is something that all workers face and everyone handles it differently. "...infrequent doses of job stress pose little threat and may be effective in increasing motivation and productivity, but too much - and too prolonged - can lead to a downward spiral - both professionally and personally." (Managing Job Stress) Jobs, such as ones that are in dangerous settings, or one that deals with demanding customers, tend to be more stressful, but is not limited to any one particular job or industry. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), states that "job stress, now more than ever, poses a threat to the health of workers - and the health of organizations. NIOSH defines job stress as the harmful physical and emotional responses that occur when requirements of the job do not match the capabilities, resources, or needs of the worker. Stress also occurs when the situation has high demands and the worker has little or no control over it." (Managing Job Stress)

Another type of stress that people can experience from time to time is caused by relationship problems. Problems that fall within a relationship are very common, but one often misunderstands what causes them to occur. "Much of our relationship stress comes from our conscious and unconscious efforts to change or control other people. We want others to behave in certain ways, and when we can't get them to, we become angry and resentful. The more we try to change them and fail, the more angry, frustrated, and depressed we are likely to become." (Day 10: Relationship-Destroying Patterns) As well, most people are confused about what it takes to create a happy, successful, long-term relationship.

That is what I have so far. Now I have to come up with a conclusion, but I'm not exactly sure on how or what to end it with. If you can review what I have so far, I would greatly appreciate it!!

If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thanks!!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You're right, it can be difficult to come up with a topic when the assignment parameters are so broad. You're also correct that it can be easier to write about something you can relate to! To narrow it down a little, you could pick one of those, say, stress, and think about the root causes of it. For example, waiting until the last minute to write an essay can be very stressful. (I'm not suggesting that you have ever done that, of course! I'm merely throwing out ideas! ;-)) School-related stress can also be related to taking too many courses, being involved in too many extracurricular activities, financial problems, having family responsibilities--many things. You could pick one cause or several, and then talk about the effect the resulting stress has on a student: illness, lower grades, family problems, dropping out, etc.

Whatever topic you decide on, just keep narrowing it down until it feels manageable to you. Good luck!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP twinsxtwo 4 / 4  
If I go with stress...

The root causes of it: overwhelmed, not enough time in the day (kids, full-time career, wife, student)

School-related stress can also be related to taking too many courses, being involved in too many extracurricular activities, financial problems, having family responsibilities--many things. You could pick one cause or several, and then talk about the effect the resulting stress has on a student: illness, lower grades, family problems, dropping out, etc.

Would it be easier to write the paper if it was narrowed down more or focus on one reason specifically? I'm just concerned if that would make it hard for me because all of those things combined add to the 'day-to-day stress' that I have. =)

"waiting until the last minute to write an essay can be very stressful" I'm very good at doing this with everything else going on!! =)
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Two to three pages isn't a terribly long essay, so perhaps you would find it easier to focus on one specific reason. You could try a rough draft with one, then see if you are going to have trouble fulfilling the page requirement. Then, if you're really short, you could broaden it a little. Just a thought.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Your essay is coming along really well! You're right about the transition, but I have a suggestion:
If you'll start the paragraph with these sentences, you'll have a smoother transition into the types of stress: "While I am one that says I am stressed out quite frequently, I never knew there were different kinds of stress. Stress was stress in my eyes until looking into it in more depth." Then go into the "Stress management can be complicated" part.

A few editing tips on typos and/or spelling:

not easy with three female in one bathroom - females

a day at the office is pretty mello. - mellow

I am going none stop - non-stop

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've done a fantastic job! The additional tidbits you found are good. What about just bringing them in by saying something like, "Women are at particular risk for stress..."

In both of the following sentences, make "one's" possessive:
Stress tends to affect one's body and health in different ways. One should not let one's [delete "their"] stress get so bad as to cause illness.

side effects are a key factor in ones awareness that they may be subject to stress. - Again, you're mixing singular and plural. One cannot be "they." It's usually best just to re-write such sentences. You could say, "...side effects are a key factor in creating awareness of stress."

I think you've done a great job! Good luck!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Stress - Cause & Effect essay - having a hard time coming up with a topic