GRE: students choose their fields on study based on their long-term career goals

mohammmo 2 / 3  
"Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed."
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Educational institutions can never accurately predict whether or not students can succeed in a specific field of study. Hence, they do not have the responsibility the dissuade students from these fields. They only have the responsibility to present their expectations of a qualified student for each field. But such expectations are not the only determinants that justify institutions to dissuade students from pursuing there desired fields of study.

Institutions do have to at least offer some form of guidance and counseling for students who are unsure whether they're qualified for a certain field of study. For instance, instead of dissuading students, institutions such as universities often offer placement and standardized tests that determine whether students meet the minimum requirements or not. But these tests are not obsolete determinants to one's ability to succeed in a particular field, but only help give some idea about the expectations of qualified students. Therefore, I re-emphasize my point that institutions do not have the full responsibility to dissuade students from entering there desired fields of study.

In face, students must make there own reasoned choices about whether they want to study a particular field or not. As students are presented with the school's (i.e. a university) minimum expectations, it is the students' responsibility to choose there desired fields of study even if they do not meet the minimum expectations. While they will suffer from the consequences of failing in their chosen field if they do fail, they will also enjoy the fruits of the success if they do succeed. I offer, as anecdotal evidence, an instance where my university suggested that I avoid engineering due to my low math scores. However, I wanted to design my own career path, which is in engineering. Hence, I insisted on entering engineering and excelled in it, which contradicted my schools expectation.

Moreover, there are many mercurial factors at play in determining whether a student will succeed or not in a particular field. How could educational institutions determine what's best for students? There are no fixed parameters that determines students' eligibility for a particular field. In higher education, freshmen students certainly acquired the expected skills to make their own thorough decisions on what field they want. The university may not put into account the student's passion about the field and whether he's is a persistent student or not. All it has are numbers and grades that are only a small portion of the many factors that determines the eligibility. As previously stated, the university should definitely present its expectations based on their results for the students to consider. But it cannot by no means make definite recommendations to dissuade students from their desired fields based on such results (i.e. grades, standardized tests, etc).

In conclusion, students choose their fields on study based on their long-term career goals. Educational institutions are not capable of considering such factors to determine what's best for students. There are numerous variables at play that only students themselves recognize and hence, make their own legitimate judgments on which field they want to pursue.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Educational institutions can never accurately predict whether or not students canare able to (u used "can" previously. So, it would be better to use a wide range of structures in writing) succeed in a specific field of studysubject ("field of study" was used in the topic. So, it would be better to avoid using the phrases used in the topic) . Hence, they do not have the responsibility tothedissuade(use synonym since it was used in the topic. For example u can use "discourage")) students from these fields. They only have the responsibility to present their expectations of a qualified student for each field. But such expectations are not the only determinants that justify institutions to dissuade(synonym) students from pursuing there desired fields of study(use synonym since u used it in the previous sentences) .

Open the introduction with a "Motivator" and then write the thesis statement. What you wrote as an introduction started with the thesis statement. You should prepare the mind of the reader for the topic by writing a motivator or a statement which gives some general information about the topic and then write about the main idea of the essay.

At the end of the introduction you should mention why you took this position. For more information google "blueprint in writing/essay).

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE: students choose their fields on study based on their long-term career goals