IELTS TASK 2: Students choose to study English independently

Adhisti 20 / 19 2  
A huge number of students choose to study English independently on a self-study basis rather than attend a formal course. However, without the assistance of a teacher, students often find it difficult to manage their studies.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

People's success is determined on how they are studying. For this reason, the majority of students are more likely to opt studying English lesson by themselves rather than to follow the instructional class. In contrast to this, there are plenty of possibilities to obtain poor quality of learning without teacher's guidance. A statement seems utterly true, but I would argue that the students choose a self-study method thanks to economic condition. Furthermore, it can affect the students' understanding because there is no fixed assessment of what they learn.

First, course fees sometimes become a hurdle so as that the students decide not to attend course. The pupils think that they can learn language acquisition with their own methods. Take one example, teachers at Kanda University of International Studies, Japan create a solution by implementing an independent English learning. The result of this effort is that 48% of the students feel they know how to study by themselves. Consequently, they have their own scheduled times, no fear of criticism from their friends when they are not good at English, and self-learning will bring effective cost.

Conversely, the difficulties cannot be prevented by the schoolchildren while they study without their teachers' instructions. It is because they cannot punctuate whether their understanding is true or not. To exemplify, when they attempt to figure out how to result good writing, they have to learn about using appropriate words and the accuracy of grammar in every sentence. As a result, they basically need guidance from their teachers.

From my point of view, the pupils still need teachers' help while they learn English. It is aimed to encourage the students in improving their skills continuously. They need not to feel uncertainty of what they learn.

The aforementioned evidence reveals that independent learning renders one of the methods for the students to set their times up well and opt what they want to understand. However, they should realize that even though there is a consideration to attend a course related to money, they will gain broadened knowledge and instructions from teachers in order to develop their English skills.
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  

If I am asked to write the introductory statement for this essay, then I'd start constructing my paragraph with the following steps:
- Background (see sentence 1 below)
- Thesis (see sentence 2)
- Outline (sentence 3)

It is argued that a mammoth number of students opt self-study approach when it comes to learning English. It is agreed that this group of students is more likely to gain obstacles to allocate their studies efficiently. Firstly, this essay will discuss the fact that independent learners have no time preparing a syllabus and secondly, how this might lead serious consequences for students facing a tight deadline, followed by a reasoned conclusion.

As this essay agrees with the motion, making a concession statement in the end of body paragraphs demonstrates that you have thought about the other side of the argument, so that there will be balanced views. Let's give try for the concession:

Body 1: Despite this, students with high-level performance in many developed countries, where this problem is most acute can access free online materials and will continue to study.

Body 2: However, some may argue that the consequences can be tackle if students set their goals objectively and work towards achieving their goals.

Hope this helps, eddy suaib.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2: Students choose to study English independently