Students education with a vast combination of subjects, or specialization on one subject with depth

LinearSona 1 / -  

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

With the development of modern society, education problems have never been more important than before. One specific argument has raised that whether students should be educated with a vast combination of subjects or only one subject with depth. From my personal perspective, I agree with the latter opinion more.

It is true that people, especially children should get access to a wide range of subjects to make sure they have comprehensive and objective knowledge towards the world. That's what elementary schools do, like their names. Having broad and extensive basic knowledge is like constructing the foundation of a building. The necessity of learning basic knowledge should not be ignored.

However, it's the academic subjects instead of common knowledge we are talking about. When things get professional, specializing in one subject will let people be able to make more essential progress. For instance, in the medical field, it's always more difficult to become a doctor who experts in a certain area than a general practitioner. Because the former needs more time and energy digging deep in a cutting-edge topic after having general knowledge of medicine. And the extreme miscellaneous diseases are all solved by those experts. They spent years focusing on solving only one problem with extreme concentration. Only through this way can we make essential medical advancements.

Besides, education is a lifelong topic. In early life, many people probably have the experience of having a least favorite subject in school. And usually it's the same one as their worst-performanced subject since interest is the best teacher. Normally what people received is general education before entering universities. By making contact with various subjects, people will be able to find their own interests, what they are truly good at and have the passion in eventually. When reaching this point, it's clearly wiser to stick to one certain subject and make it a specialty instead of learning various subjects aimlessly. After all, what I understand of education is to help people determine where their talents lay and encourage them to fully develop it as their unique expertise.

Therefore, combining all the above mentioned reasons, I reinforce my standpoint that focusing on a specific subject is better. It'll more likely make people be beneficial to the society since the energy of a person is limited. The majority of people can only become a master in a very narrow field. Under most circumstances, know-it-all means knowing nothing.
You have written 402 words but only 126 words are actually applicable to the prompt discussion. These relevant discussion points are located in paragraph 4. The first 3 paragraphs are only extended introductions to the topic being discussed. That does not bode well for your essay. You should have started with the content of paragraph 4 and then expanded upon that discussion in another paragraph so that you could have responded directly and relevantly to the given discussion.

There is a big difference between the IELTS Task 2 and TOEFL discussion essay. The former requires a prompt restatement before your response to the prompt. The latter, simply requires you to immediately discuss your response in reference to the given discussion topic. The TOEFL exam asks you to be direct in your information presentation. Just like the IELTS Task 2 test, it asks you to use your personal knowledge and examples to support your response.

The essay asks you to consider the early part of education, from elementary to high school. Not the specialized part in college. The broad knowledge discussion is applicable only to the part where the student still has options and choices for their future college education. By having a broad exposure to subjects, they can have educated and better choices for their focused education time.

Home / Writing Feedback / Students education with a vast combination of subjects, or specialization on one subject with depth