Students shall be free to study what they want, but schools should give priority to practical majors

mersad 8 / 14 6  
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Over the recent years, the main role of university courses is increasingly becoming a source of debate. Many people opine the academic studies should lead trainees to meet society's future demands. Although this view has some merits, I strongly believe that students are expected to retain their right to opt their favorite majors and universities are also required to independently expand the gates of all ranges of sciences regardless of whether the courses are utilitarian in the future.

Historically, the university is not only the main responsible sector to enlarge skirts of sciences, but efficiently also to transfer knowledge to the next generations. Accordingly, the college should follows its historical mission up and provides a suitable context for diverse study fields in a way that each generation can pursue its interesting courses there. Take a non-scientific non-technological major, philosophy, which overwhelming majority of people believe it does not have a much of useful role to play in our life, for example. However, as view point of history, philosophy, contrary to their expectation, has considerably contributed as a complementary component in any brilliant development since the dawn of civilization such as Enlightenment.

On the other hand, if occupation is not the sole justification for education, it will be taken into account as one of the very most important reason of genesis of such an organization named university. Consequently, it is highly recommended to choose a study area having sufficient position in the near future. For instance, how miserable might be a country suffering from lack of enough engineers throughout its industries and thus calling for international forces while dozen of its young graduated citizens are jobless.

In conclusion, choosing a future-utilitarian field of study having several vacancies seems worthwhile; nonetheless, I hold the view that students should be free to study whatever they want. However, the universities deliberately should give priority to practical major rather than the others.
Brandon_G 1 / 1 1  
Hi there, here are my suggestions in regards to the first paragraph:

... the main role of university courses is increasingly becoming a source of debate. ( I would say "In the recent past, the significance of the role that university courses play has been revolved by debates.") Many people opine that the academic studies should lead trainees to meetfoucus onsociety's futuresocial demands in the future . Although this view has some merits(Does a view has merits?) , I strongly believe that students are expected to retain their rightS to opt their favorite majors and universities are also required to independently expand (...) whether the courses are utilitarian in the future or not .

I think you need to check your grammar a little bit after paraphrasing your ideas. Best wishes.

Home / Writing Feedback / Students shall be free to study what they want, but schools should give priority to practical majors