essay "to study history and literature rather than to study science and math"

veragof 2 / 4  
Please, criticize my essay. I am preparing for an exam by myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Nowadays students can choose what type of academics they want to learn. Some of them prefer to develop their knowledge in history and literature. However others want to study science and math rather than the humanitarian realm. The issue what field of science is more important is a very controversial one. Personally, I disagree with the statement and I think that both options have its advantages. From my point, each student has to learn history, literature as well as science and math on basic level. But they can advance in certain knowledge afterwards according to their own talents and preferences. In the following paragraphs I will mention reasons of my opinion.

First of all, learning history and literature extend our awareness of humankind past and cultural development. Students have to know about their ancestors and their cultural achievements. Moreover, literature introduces them to moral and ethical examples of people behavior as far as a spiritual and humanistic progress. Classical literature masterpieces inspire us to think over main values of humankind.

Second of all, our contemporary world develops due to the progress of science and math. There is no business that can work without calculation and analysis. That is why students should not avoid learning basic knowledge in science and math because it might be helpful in their future success in business. We cannot imagine the modern life without technologies which embrace all parts of our lives. It would be better to be aware of technological principles which are based on science and math.

Thirdly, I think that students would like to develop their intellect and extend their knowledge because the contemporary progress needs intelligent people who are able to accomplish different kind of tasks at the same time and succeed in different social aims. People who have extended minds and high intelligence are more efficient in life and in business. They easy can find their knowledge application and adapt to changing society needs.

In conclusion, the statement that history and literature are more important than science and mathematics is somehow senseless. I believe that each of them bring benefits in our lives. Therefore each of those fields must be studied in schools because in our modern society we have to know about the humankind history and cultural achievements as well as the progress in science and mathematics.
xucoi 14 / 41 10  
the humanitarian realm? can u explain this ? For me, in your essay, there were many sentence that is difficult to understand :D. You can change to some sentences that are easily comprehensive ^^
OP veragof 2 / 4  
the humanitarian realm

Sorry, I meant the humanities, human studies)) but I would appreciate if you mark at least a couple more sentences or words which are the most difficult for you to understand.

it might be helpful for me.

regards.
vera

Home / Writing Feedback / essay "to study history and literature rather than to study science and math"