Studying abroad has become a very common phenomenon in the modern world - globalisation result

dewploy 1 / 4 2  
Some international student choose American roommates. Others choose roommates from their own countries. Compare the advantages of having an American roommate with the advantages of having a roommate from your country. Which kind of roommate would you prefer? Why? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

As a result of globalization, studying abroad has become a very common phenomenon in the modern world. These international students need to choose whom they would be putting up during their academic period. While some of them prefer to have American roommates, others wish to share the room with mates from their own country. Both options have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, If I am to choose my roommate, I would prefer to share a room with an American.

First, associating with an American roommate would help you learning English much faster. As everybody knows that practice makes perfect, living with an American roommate would give you numerous inevitable opportunities to practice your English skill. Therefore, your every day life would be more challenge. On the other hand, if you choose to stay with mates from your own country, most of the time you will try to rely on them and have less chances to practice your English skill.

Second, sharing a room with an American would help you learn how to adapt with people from different cultures properly. Narrow-minded people who never have a chance to live with foreigner likely to have a hard time adapt with people from different cultures. Living with American mates is an excellent chance to practice. Although living with mates from your own country would be easier because you didn't have to adapt to anything at all, you would lose these opportunities.

Finally, as far as I'm concerned, both kinds of roommates are good depending on how fast you can adapt yourself with foreigners. If you are an easy adapter, an American roommate will be ideal for you because you will have more opportunities to learn new things. But if you think you aren't fast enough, roommate from your own country will be better because you will have friends who share your situation and help each other studying. All in all, I still prefer an American roommate.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
Nowadays, families that are wealthy enough tend to send their children to study abroad.

Well.... this is your hook and it should grab the reader's attention. For that it needs to be relevant to your topic. However, this sentence goes out of topic and has little relevance to your topic. Why do narrow down the scope of your prompt to wealthy families? There can be poor students who go abroad to study on scholarships. This prompt does not deal with wealthy or poor. But it deals with choices of selecting room mates. You need to have more focus on that aspect.
OP dewploy 1 / 4 2  
Thanks Paran for your suggestion, do you have any examples of hook sentences that match this topic?
As a result of globalization, studying abroad has become a very common phenomenon in the modern world. .... this is your hook
Now go and explaing the background of the prompt;
These international students need to choose whom they would be putting up during their academic period. While some of them prefer to have American roommates, others wish to share the room with mates from their own country. Both options have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Now express your opinion;
However, If I am to choose my roommate, I would prefer to ???????? (state your position) :)
OP dewploy 1 / 4 2  
Thank you very much, Dumi
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
The mainly reason comes from my desires to learn new things

This is actually not necessary to say.... You are going to explain your reasons in the body paragraphs. It's good to conclude the introduction with a clear statement that states your position;

I myself prefer American roommates.

... this is it and you should have stopped here.
OP dewploy 1 / 4 2  
Thanks a lot, Pahan. Sorry for late reply.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
...no issues friend :)
Let me help you with your body paragraphs too;

Firstly, communication aspect:

Don't end sentences abruptly. Be a little more descriptive;
First, associating with an American roommate would help you learning English much faster..... This is the actual reason. So start with that and give an example to support it.

They can decently speak English but definitely not as well as their mother tongue.

.... what do you mean by decently speaking?
My advice for your body para is to tell the reason first. Then give an example to support that reason. Avoid too much verbose and write to the point .
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
Second, sharing a room with an American would help you learn how to adapt with people from different cultures properly

Narrow-minded people who never have a chance to live with foreigner likely to have a hard time adapt with people from different cultures.

Present this differently,
Such exposure may help one appreciate the other cultures and broaden his or her perspectives.

Living with American mates is an excellent chance to practice. Although living with mates from your own country would be easier because you didn't have to adapt to anything at all, you would lose these opportunities.

.... this is not an example to the reason you stated in the previous line. Now back it up with an example;
For example, I was able to change many misconceptions about Americans when I had the opportunity to share my room with an American mate during my undergraduate studies.
OP dewploy 1 / 4 2  
Thanks again, Pahan. You have been lots of help.

Home / Writing Feedback / Studying abroad has become a very common phenomenon in the modern world - globalisation result