Studying alone vs. with a group - both sides of the story

co11apse 5 / 16  
There are many ways to study nowadays. You can study alone or with a group of students. Some people prefer to study with a group because there they can make friends and share their ideas. Other people, including myself, believe that it is better to study alone with a teacher and have opportunities to get more teacher's attention and individual approach.

From my point of view, there are many advantages in studying individually. Firstly, a teacher pays more attention on your work. When there is a big group of students, a teacher is not able to answer all of the questions. But if you study alone, the teacher can help you to eliminate all your misunderstandings. When I study alone with my physics teacher, I always ask him some questions which help me to clarify the topic and even give me some extra information.

Secondly, studying individually allows you to have an individual studying program. That is what group lessons can never provide. It often appears when you need to study one topic more intensive and for a longer time, while another one is well-known for you and you only need to shortly review it. i remember studying with a maths teacher to learn the material which I missed because of the illness. It took me only two weeks to catch up with the school program estimated to be learned in a month. That proves that studying individually is also faster than in a group.

However, many people still like to study in groups. They explain their choice by saying that while studying in a group you can find new friends. People in these groups may have the same interests as you. Another reason why people choose to study in groups is because they can share ideas with other students. For example, while studying in group, students can have discussions and debates on the topic of the lecture they heard. Everyone is allowed to express their opinion, agree or disagree with other students.

To sum up, students who are eager to make new acquaintances and learn other students' points of view choose to study with a group of students. Those who need more teacher's attention and individual approach usually prefer to study alone.
amitt - / 80  
My friend the content is ambiguous! A teacher will always teach group of students in a class. In order to get any clarification you can meet them at individual level. Thus it is not required to take whole group. Also at individual level after taking advantages of internet,Tv, libraries & getting advices from teachers things would be easier.Also, what is your individual view? It is not yet clear

In group people do wait for each other at decided point, chit-chit, diversion of concentration, no focus, waisting time in cafe to refresh
OP co11apse 5 / 16  
@amitt, there are two sentences which express my "individual view". here they are:
1) Other people, including myself , believe that it is better to study alone with a teacher and have opportunities to get more teacher's attention and individual approach.

2) From my point of view , there are many advantages in studying individually.

I didn't actually understand the rest of your reply because of numerous mistakes
amitt - / 80  
1>Read this "When I study alone with my physics teacher, I always ask him some questions which help me to clarify the topic and even give me some extra information."

Actually I am not aware of teaching trend in your country. Do the teachers in your school/college teach you privately/seperately? I think every where we take some tips/suggestions/advices seperately from our teachers

2> you justified " you like to study alone" but I think it should be at the end not in the beginning of your essay.What are the disadvantages of group studies?

I think the disadvantages are "In group people do wait for each other at decided point, chit-chit, diversion of concentration, no focus, waisting time in cafe to refresh"
OP co11apse 5 / 16  
Ok, to my mind, studying alone is when you hire a teacher for extra individual studies and group studying means sitting in a classroom with classmates. What does chit-chit mean? I also don't think that we ever "wasted time in cafes to refresh" while studying, that was only at the weekends.

Why should I write about disadvantages of group studies? I already have more than enough(300) words for TOEFL essay and I just explained there while people choose to study in groups.
amitt - / 80  
It is chit-chat not chit-chit. While writing my laptop's "a" button some times takes "i" , now after repair my laptop is ok & type correct word. Anton what you think should be very clear "what is in your mind" will never work unless examiner is fully convinced. Group study also include studying together by more than one student at his/her home.

"hire a teacher for extra individual studies" here are you talking of "tuition" isn't it? Whatever you said to justify yourself iam not convinced

Home / Writing Feedback / Studying alone vs. with a group - both sides of the story