IELTS Writing task 2: Studying subjects that we do not like is a complete waste of time

angella1706 1 / -  
Question: Many students have to study subjects which they do not like. Some people think this is a complete waste of time. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

uninterested subjects at school

There are ongoing debates about whether students should be forced to learn subjects that they are not interested in. I, personally, disagree with the point of view stated that studying subjects covered all areas of knowledge is a total waste of time.

In my opinion, each subject, especially in primary and secondary schools, has its own function in the mission of building a complete picture of fundamental knowledge as well as skills for the students. For example, many students argue that they have no talent in music or art so studying these two classes is useless to them. However, such classes are designed not for the purpose of giving awards for gifted students but to bring out the creativity in every child in the school. Another subject that is indispensable in every school despite receiving a lot of dislike from pupils all around the world is physical education. If students stayed on their seats all days without taking part in any sport classes, there would be a possibility that they might get some problems with their spines and muscles.

Moreover, there is no guarantee that children would not overcome their disfavor for the subject after they actually study it. I believe that the role of teachers accounts for a part of their students' behaviour in the class. Some classes might be boring to learners at first, but if the teacher has an attention-grabbing approach to the subject, they might change their minds in the end. For instance, a history class would be more exciting with a session where students can act like historical figures and perform ancient events. Directly involving in the lessons would definitely raise students' interest in the subject.

In conclusion, I believe it is necessary for students to study all subjects in the school whether they like these classes or not.

Can you mark me based on IELTS band score.
Thank you.
coke 14 / 28 13  
Hello angella1706,

You need to state your position on whether or not studying uninteresting subjects is a waste of time. Your opening sentence, instead, debates about whether students should be forced to study these subjects.

The main idea sentence of the 3rd paragraph is quite confusing to understand. I think you're saying that there are chances that children would change their mind after taking these classes.

I'm preparing for the test myself so I can't give you estimated band score. Maybe some experienced contributor will be able to help you on that.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2: Studying subjects that we do not like is a complete waste of time