TOEFL- What subject is the most important for students?

basawang 10 / 76  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Mankind possesses multifarious knowledge, which can be roughly classified into two categories. The first category is related to human society or aesthetics, such as history and literature. The second one is in regard to the nature roles of the world, such as science and mathematics. Some argue that it is more crucial for students to study the first category rather than the second one. In my point of view, no solid evidence supports this assertion that people can derive more benefits from studies of humanity than physical universe. As a matter of fact, students should have essential understanding of both of these two different subjects before high schools, and then they decide what is the best subject for them in high schools or colleges.

Obviously different kinds of people exhibit miscellaneous interests and talents, so there is no universal subject choice for everyone. Similarly, different kinds of subjects display sundry characters and functions, so there is no single subject that is omnipotent. It is unreasonable to evaluate which subject is the most suitable one for every student. For example, literature involves in the abilities to analyze and appreciate an article, or even create a poem or a novel. J. K. Rolling, the author of the famous serious novels "Harry Potter", has this skill and she used it well to create a magic world. However, she cannot design rockets or discover black holes, which are two magic accomplishments in our world. This kind of task is conducted by engineers and astronomers, who are specialize in science and mathematics. This example, which does not mean literature is useless, or science is better, clearly shows that experts, like J. K. Rolling, can attain wonderful achievements in their own field; however, they cannot accomplish any goals in fields that they are unfamiliar with.

So how do students decide what subject they should learn in order to succeed in the future? I reckon that they should find their own gifts and passions, and then select the subject, which they are most fond of. If students can study their favorite subject, they will acquire an innate driving force to push them toward their aims continuously. On the other hand, if teachers or parents force students to study those subjects that they are not interested in, it is like to plant seedlings of a palm, a tropical tree, in high altitude regions. In this case the seedlings' growth is going to be greatly hindered. In Taiwan and many other countries, elementary schools teach general knowledge to students. Students are instilled with specific knowledge in a more mature age. This strategy enables students to have the opportunity to search for their interests, and then further pursue them.

To be brief, I do not agree that it is more important for students to learn history and literature than science and mathematics, but I do not deem that the latter are better than the former, neither. What students should study depends on their personal characters and what they want.
abc1400 17 / 32  
Dear writer,
I did not understand from your introduction paragraph that you agree or disagree. You should choose one of these two sides.
I think your first paragraph does not have a strong topic sentence.
You should choose one of humanitarian or science.
OP basawang 10 / 76  
Dear abc1400,

Thanks for your comment.
I agree with you that the topic sentence is not clear enough.
Maybe I should replace the sentence in paragraph 1 with those in paragraph 4.

I have a question.
For this topic, do I have to assert that students have to choose one side,
or I can state that students can choose either side?

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL- What subject is the most important for students?