"The subject of possession and happines" - Toefl writing

Kaixi 1 / 1  
People would be happier if they had fewer possessions.

The subject of possession and happiness is an interesting subject because there seems to be many contradictory ideas around it. So can someone who has a lot of money be happy? From my perspective, money should be an enabler of happiness because money allows us to buy, do or experience things that we desire.

Firstly, more possessions make people's material life and spiritual life much better than if people have fewer possessions. On the one hand, we earn money for love, to make our parents live a better live and make our children receive further education. Most benefits come from the financial advantages including better job security, better health benefits and higher insurance. On the other hand, financial status is the way we demonstrate to others (and ourselves) that we are successful-hence the fancy watches, the expensive cars, and the bespoke suits. We earn respect from other people and make ourselves more confident.

Secondly, it is fair to say that the more money you have, the lesser limitation you go through. If you have more possession you can do anything you love, a hobby or activity that you enjoy. Everyone has a natural interest, passion and inclination. Indulging in this interest brings you joy and happiness. But sometimes it could be really expensive, for instance, mount-climbing, drifting, the tuition of the piano classes, traveling around the world and so on. If you have enough money, you could develop your interests without misgiving the financial condition. The only way is to take better care of yourself, relieve your stress and give your interests and hobbies more priority.

Finally, sincerely help others and contribute to society whenever you can and you'll have more happiness in life. Nothing gives greater satisfaction, meaning and happiness than sincerely helping another human being and seeing their appreciation as well as the impact it has on their lives. A national survey conducted by Dunn and colleagues showed that participants who were directed to spend a small amount of money on others reported greater feelings of happiness than those who were directed to spend the same amounts on themselves

Admittedly, there are things that money can't buy. But if you treat your possession in an appropriate way, you will live everyday with safe, respect and happy.
Jeecee 5 / 19  
possession ?

I think you mixed up between possession and money.
Someone might qualify to clarify that. As far as my understanding "The subject of possession and happiness" to me mean to write about the advantages or disadvantages having too much 'toys".
The subjects of money and happiness are interesting subjects because there seem to be many contradictory ideas around them.

Secondly, it is fair to say that the more money you have, the fewer limitations you experience.

If you have more possessions, you can do anything you love, a hobby or activity that you enjoy. ----This is a good sentence!

Finally, use your money to sincerely help others and contribute to society whenever you can, and you'll have...

Great argument!! I think this is excellent. Most people argue that money does not bring happiness. You made a great, unique argument.

Home / Writing Feedback / "The subject of possession and happines" - Toefl writing