Too many subjects or specialize in one, which is better?

mia_01 2 / 1  
Some universities require students to take classes in many subjects. Other universities require students to specialize in one subject. Which is better?

Knowledge is for peoples own benefit. Universities nowadays demand students to take many subjects while some specialize in one. Both this aspect has its own viewpoint. I believe, taking many subjects is better than being expert in one.

Firstly, specializing in one thing brings professionalism and practical use of knowledge to people. A doctor for example, being a physician is a very broad profession and yet there are many criteria that an individual may choose for them to become expert in one field. When a student doctor decided to be skillful in his chosen field, he/she must focus and expose himself to gain more information and be master on the particular area. However, information becomes beneficial when a person is able to use it.

In contrary, a students who knows many subjects have a lot of advantage in job hunting rather than students knows only one. Since most of the students have no practical experience, having broad knowledge can win more attention to employers. In our modern society, most of the job offer require employee who occupy a lot of knowledge. For instance, I as a nurse is a very huge profession because you must know a lot. As part of our curriculum I need to study some of subjects like chemistry, pharmacology and even nutrition and diet. I don't need to be expert in this subjects, but I must have an idea about it. For having knowledge to this different curriculum I have more chances to apply in laboratories, drugstores and in restaurant even if it is not my field of duty.

In conclusion, a student who has a pack of knowledge, has a greater advantage for his/her own future. Presumably employers would choose someone who has more skills and talents. Being flexible is somewhat a profit to any individual.

Thank you for your comment
Knowledge is for people' s own benefit.

Universities nowadays demand students to take many subjects while some specialize in one.

Actually, this is slightly different to what your prompt really means. It says that some universities require students to take up many subjects while some others want students to specialize in one subject. However, the above sentence flatly gives the impression that all universities demand students to take many subjects, which is not really what your prompt has said. You should align your writing more with what prompt says.
I agree with Pahan. Try to maintain a proper alignment with what your prompt suggests. :)

Firstly, specializing in one thing brings professionalism and practical use of knowledge to people.

.... this is a poor sentence. It is not well constructed to deliver your idea clearly to the reader :(
First, specializing in one particular subject helps one develop his or her expertise in that subject.

Well, you should keep giving reasons to support your view point on the issue. However, the above para discusses the counter argument and fails to justify your position.

Home / Writing Feedback / Too many subjects or specialize in one, which is better?