Article Summary : Longer 'Penis' drives evolution of bigger brains in female fish

nda18 46 / 81 9  
For male mosquitofish, bigger genitals mean more mating success, and surprisingly the development of male organs lead females to evolve their brain size, become larger, to escape from overeager mates. The mating system between males and females mosquitofish started when the males sneak up and attempt to copulate by force using a modified anal fin, called the gonopodium, in order to send sperm into females. Severine Buechel and colleagues conducted a research to test the notion that females develop bigger brains to defend against males, and males response it by evolve their brains too. The study found that there was no evidence that male brains got bigger at the same time as females. The mating system which is far from romantic among mosquitofish triggers many risks for females, and having a lager brain might help them to spot and get away from males. According to Buechel, brain development might be gone in different way, and it depends on adopted mating strategy.

newscientist
rousua - / 2  
Some suggestions for better clarity:
"...bigger genitals means more mating success. Suprisingly..."
"become larger and to escape from over eager males."
in the second sentence started should be starts.
"anal fin, called the gonopodium,..." omit the first comma.
"and males response it by evolve their brains too. " change this to "and males responded by evolving their brains as well."

I would change your second to last sentence to: "The mating system is far from romantic among mosquitofish poses many risks for females, and having a larger brain may help them to spot and get away from males."

Just a couple questions about the content as well. I was confuse while reading, do male triggerfish's brains grow or not? The answer was not entirely clear.

I like the content and the subject is interesting, it just needs so grammar fixes. Make sure you are writing the the correct tense. Read it out loud and that may help you with spoting some issues with clarity.

Home / Writing Feedback / Article Summary : Longer 'Penis' drives evolution of bigger brains in female fish