Summary On Pain Meds - paper

hunnybun39 10 / 26  
Hi,
I really need help on my paper, it is just supposed to be a 2 page summary on a discussion regarding pain meds, i'm only half way done and already at 1.5 pages. If there is any advice regarding my paper I would really appreciate it (as well as grammer help is always appreciated as well). Thanks!

Pain is a universal phenomenon. It is experienced across all age groups, across all socioeconomic levels, and in all settings. Post operative treatment of pain is a nurse's responsibility and the process can be complicated. Morphine is the prototype drug from the opioid drug group, and is the drug of choice for post surgery. Morphine in post operative is ordered on a fixed schedule rather than on an as needed basis. There are several reasons for this which include post-operative patients are not fully cognitive and unable to request pain when needed, post operative pain is usually a persistent pain, and morphine's duration of action is only three to four hours (Lehne, 2007). A fixed schedule takes into account these factors, and prevents the opioid medication from becoming non-beneficial; therefore, medication is given before pain returns, rather than waiting for the patient to experience pain and then request the medication. When a drug is ordered on an as needed basis, the nurse can provide the patient with the best level of pain control by providing patient controlled analgesia. Patient controlled Analgesia (PCA) involves the on-demand, intermittent, self administration of a pre-determined does of analgesic drug (usually an opioid) by a patient (Shorten, Carr, Harmon, Puig, Browne, 2006). Interventions to ensure maximum pain relief using this method include provide patient education regarding the PCA; nurse should observe patients using the pump for the first time; teach the patient pre-operatively (Lehne, 1998); Monitor vital signs every one hour-for respiratory depression (Lehne, 2007); keep narcotic reversing agent readily available; patient should be told not to fear overdose; to reduce discomfort associated with painful activities, patients should be taught to activate pump ten minutes prior to anticipated activity (Lehne, 2007).

Interventions regarding pain relief often change depending on client goals. Client education and an open mind to pharmacological as well as non-pharmacological approaches to pain relief provide many alternatives to use when designing a plan. Many non-pharmacological methods can be used with or without traditional pharmacological methods; these include biofeedback, TENS, themoterapy, and cryotherapy. Non-pharmacological pain management are gaining populariy because it resolves many concerens about the overdose of drug, fear of syringe, involvement of medication pumps, capsules and I.V. lines. Also, it benefits self management of health problems.

An adequate and useful assessment is the first step before any goals or interventions are implemented. The nurse must assess pain characteristics, vital signs, patient's response to pain, patient's culture, and patient's expectations of pain relief, age, cognitive ability /mental illness, race, weight, hypersensitivity, cardiovascular system, prior treatments, present medications, and level of consciousness. Pain scales are a useful tool for the nurse to assess the severity of pain a patient is experiencing. For an infant a behavioral pain scale works best; for a toddler the Wong-Baker FACES pain scale; for a nonverbal adult check list for nonverbal pain indicators (CNPI), numeric scales or color scales; for an elderly patient with dementia the observable pain behaviors scale, checklist for non-verbal pain indicators (CNPI), pain assessment in advanced dementia (PAINDAD), and pain assessment for the dementing elderly (PADE). An assessment finding that warrants withholding medications include head injury/brain tumor/ increased intracranial pressure; hepatic failure; renal insufficiency; liver dysfunction; convulsions; gall bladder disease; bowel obstruction; allergies to narcotic medication; asthma; alcohol use; epilepsy; urinary tract infection.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

This looks like the start of a really great paper. You have solid information provided from reliable sources, your introduction is appropriate for your content, and your paragraphs are easily linked and transitioned. My only suggestion is not to overuse semi colons:

"An assessment finding that warrants withholding medications include head injury/brain tumor/ increased intracranial pressure; hepatic failure; renal insufficiency; liver dysfunction; convulsions; gall bladder disease; bowel obstruction; allergies to narcotic medication; asthma; alcohol use; epilepsy; urinary tract infection."

These should all be commas, or you could group them into three, each group of three can be divided by semi colons. For instance, "...renal insufficiency, liver dysfunction, convulsions; gall bladder disease, bowel obstruction, allergies to narcotic medication;..."

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Summary On Pain Meds - paper