Unanswered [0] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES
 DrAfT!
Home / Writing Feedback 2

Summary: How can parents help students survive the exam season?

Link: theguardian.com/teacher-network/2017/may/11/how-can-parents-help-students-survive-the-exam-season

Write a summary

"How can parents help students survive the exam season?" , as what its name aims to, gives advice on what parents can do to help their children cope with exams. From the author's point of view, it's important for parents to take action and give students necessary guidance. Here are some tips which are mentioned in the article. The first thing is expectations matter. Parents should point out a target for students to follow. In addition, they should be supportive rather than neglectful after having such high expectations. Secondly, it is advised that parents be optimistic about failure. Setbacks should be regarded as opportunities to learn instead of as personal judgments. Thirdly, some strategies are not always effective. The reason is those techniques doesn't require students to brainstorm but keep things in long-term memory. Fourthly, set a cleary time limitation to do a task. This simple work not only helps students get used to realistic deadlines but also helps parents to avoid feeling that they are nagging. Fifthly, students should stay away from phones. Learning time can be wasted by using mobile phones, as a result, the quality of learning is impoverished. The solution is that parents should give advice on how to control the time of using phones or some strict rules need setting. Sixthly, having adequate sleeps(about nine hours per night) is essential for examinees. Spending sleeping time to do extra revision or going to bed at illogical times or drinking caffeine to keep their minds up are such bad things that should be avoided in the night before exams. Last but not least, going out to enjoy the natural atmosphere is a solution to refresh students'mind. Parents should encourage them to get out of the walls at least once a day to relax. The more they enjoy the environment, the better their performances will be. In short, exam season is such a hard time for examinees to go through that parents somehow should do practical work to help them.

Hi, I thought you did an excellent job summarizing this article. You restated most of the points very clearly, but I do have a few suggestions:

... , as what its name aims to, {"title" is better than name here, and this whole phrase sounds a bit odd to me, maybe "as its title promises, gives ..."}

The first thing is expectations matter. {I try to avoid using "thing" - be more specific - here "point" or "tip" would be good}

Thirdly, some strategies ... to brainstorm but keep things in long-term memory. {this section is not very clear. I don't think you used brainstorm correctly, it does not really mean to "think hard". Also, keeping things in long-term memory is the goal}

Fourthly, set a [clear] time limitation ...
This simple work not only {"work" should not be countable here, and another word choice would be better anyway}
... how to control the time [spent] using phones ...

Sixthly, having adequate [sleep] (about nine hours per night) is ...

... solution to refresh students' [minds] ...

Parents should encourage them to get out of the walls {"out of the walls" sounds pretty odd here - only rats live in the walls ;) }
parents somehow should do {"somehow" is not quite right - "somehow should" means you don't really know how they should -
"The President somehow should fix our country." }

Home / Writing Feedback / Summary: How can parents help students survive the exam season?