Summary-Response Essay - Celebrating Nerdiness by Tom rogers

kingdomcome 1 / 2  
Is Tom Rogers saying We should celebrate who we are as individuals or what?
I am far from a writer never made more than a c on an essay. PLEASE HELP

I have started my essay off with:In "Celebrating Nerdiness" Tom Rogers, talks about how we should embrace and celebrate who we are as individuals. The author explains in a few words the misconceptions of nerds and reasons to why they are label this way. Rogers, briefly describe his life growing up as a nerd and later becoming a schoolteacher and father of three nerdy children. In detail, Rogers give examples of the experiences his children endured as nerds.

Tom Rogers, In "Celebrating Nerdiness" is right about people stereotyping people because they are different. I feel that people should not be label because of who they if they are comfortable with it. It seems that Rogers makes it a point to give support to his kids because he already endured the situation. In addition to the examples of stereotyping and the remedies that Rogers suggests he make one think about who they are and do they accept themselves. I think that reading this essay made me realize that I do not celebrate whom I am.

I don't like using the word talks.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I don't like using the word talks.

You're right about that. "Writes" is better when referring to a book.

I wonder how long this report is supposed to be. Your response is fine, but slight. If you have the chance to say more, I recommend writing about how it felt to realize that you don't celebrate yourself.

Here are some grammatical suggestions:

The author explains in a few words the misconceptions of nerds and reasons to why they are labeled this way.

Rogers (omit comma) briefly describes his life growing up as a nerd and later becoming a schoolteacher and father of three nerdy children.

In addition to the examples of stereotyping and the remedies that Rogers suggests he makes readers think about who they are and whether they accept themselves.

I think thatR eading this essay made me realize that I do not celebrate who I am.
Your summary is very general. I realize that's unavoidable to a certain extent, but I'd like to see some specific examples to back up what you say. You might even consider quoting from the text . . .
OP kingdomcome 1 / 2  
The essay is 450-550 words.

In the Newsweek essay "Celebrating Nerdiness," Tom Rogers expresses how being a nerd is not only all right, but also extraordinary. Tom Rogers, former chemical engineer explains the misconceptions of nerds and reasons why they are label this way. Rogers briefly describes life growing up as nerd, which later inspired him to become a schoolteacher. The author goes on to explain fatherhood with two nerd sons and a daughter as a nerd supporter, given details of events his sons endured as nerds in school. Tom Rogers is right about people stereotyping people because they are different.

I decide to change somethings about the summary. What about the thesis?
I told you I wasn't a good writer.
Tom Rogers, a former chemical engineer, explains the misconceptions of nerds and reasons why they are labelled this way.

Your summary is okay. Your thesis should probably include a summary of the reasons why you agree with him though.

Home / Writing Feedback / Summary-Response Essay - Celebrating Nerdiness by Tom rogers