IELTS 1: Table showing the television viewing figures for tennis, golf, motor racing and athletics

cao1km 8 / 16 5  

The popularity of sports watching

The table shows how many people in some countries watch sport programs on televisions. There are 4 countries mentioned in the table: Australia, UK, USA and Canada. Types of sports includes tennis, golf, motor racing and athletics.

Among those four countries, the USA ranks first with the highest number of people watching sports on TV. There are 25.2 millions American people view television for sports. The country with the lowest number is Canada - there are only 14.5 millions Canadian TV viewers who are interested in this kind of program.

In Australia, UK and Canada, the most interested sport is Tennis. The numbers of spectators of this sport program in those countries are respectively 6.2; 6.6 and 6.1 millions people. Meanwhile, American TV viewers like golf the most. There are 11.2 viewers in the USA watch this sport. Tennis is quite popular in this country; so it ranks second with 7 millions viewers. Because of the very high number of American viewers, golf is the sport most watched - It is viewed by 26.9 millions spectators in four countries.

The most uncommon sport TV program in four countries is motor racing - which attracts only 12.7 millions viewers in four countries. It also has the smallest number of viewers in the USA and Canada (respectively 1.5 and 1.1 millions viewers).

To sum up, the popularity of tennis, golf, motor racing and athletics programs is different among those four countries.

P/S: This is the first time I wrote for an IELTs Task 1. I feel very confused and difficult. I have read the instructions in the book but do not understand much about how to apply those instructions. Thanks for any comments for this post.

Hello Hang. Give yourself a pat on the back for a very good first effort with writing the task 1 essay. You were able to follow the instructions in the book to a greater extent than most. This resulted in an essay that truly came close to meeting the mark in all required aspects of the discussion instruction. With that said, you do have a few missed points in the format/instructions that you should address in the next essay.

Your work in the summary overview was very good. You managed to cover most of the points required for the summary except the measurement type used and the trending sentence at the end. Now, as for the trending sentence, you can actually place that anywhere in the essay paragraphs. However, it functions best as the final sentence in the account overview as the trend is the greatest indicator of the type of discussion that will be following.

Please remember that the term "because" is a connecting word and as such, cannot be used at the start of a sentence. It can only be used in the middle of an existing sentence to help connect 2 ideas that somehow relate in reasoning or presentation for a given topic. For example, you can say;

"I like orange juice because of its refreshing flavor."

You cannot say;

"I like orange juice. Because of its refreshing flavor."

In these samples, you see how the topic of you liking orange juice needs a reason, which is the refreshing flavor, thus the 2 thoughts should be connected in one sentence.

Since this is a task 1 essay, it is mostly a paraphrasing of an original report in an analytical format. Therefore, a conclusion is not required. You merely need to accurately restate the given information instead. Aim to write only 150 - 200 words for this essay so you an have some time left over for editing and revisions to the content and spelling corrections if required.
OP cao1km 8 / 16 5  
Thank you very much for your comment. I totally appreciate all your useful advices.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 1: Table showing the television viewing figures for tennis, golf, motor racing and athletics