IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - TAX LIABILITY OF PARENTS OF CHILDREN ENROLLING IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS

vocongminhbuh 1 / -  
Subject:
Families who send their children to private schools should not be required to pay taxes that support the state education system.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Answer:
Some people hold conflicting views about paying taxes by parents those children study at private schools. While a number of people reckon that they are worth being deducted taxes, I completely disagree with the aforementioned point.

There are various compelling reasons why governments should not reduce tax liability to parents of children enrolling in private schools. Firstly, it would be difficult to calculate the correct amount of tax deduction for wealthy families. This kind of work requires more public staff to manage and thus the state budgets might be drained by an unnecessary expenditure. Secondly, citizens invariably pay a certain amount of tax for public services that they may not use. For example, most taxpayers are fortunate enough not to have a call in an emergency situation to the police or the hospital at any time in their lives, but they would not expect a tax discount for this.

In my opinion, I firmly hold the view that families of children educated in non-public institutions should delightfully take the blame for paying taxes to support public schools. The first reason is that these people can substantially contribute to build an equal education system for everyone regardless their circumstances. A great number of poorer children might take opportunities to improve background due to being accessed to the high quality education as well as children from rich families. Additionally, through tax obligations, wealthy people might foster their economic background. Indeed, businesses owned by rich families might flourish as a well-funded education system allows to generate well-trained workforce to these enterprises.

In conclusion, while many people think that any financial reduction for families sending their children to private schools is essential, I believe that it should be not considered.
The opening paraphrase is missing one reference. Since there are 2 reference points in the original prompt, the interpretation should also include 2 sentences restating each public opinion. The third sentence reference should be the writer's opinion in support or against one of the 2 idea presentations. As such, the first paragraph has not met the appropriate task accuracy requirements even as it does present an acceptable writer's opinion. It is a bit confusing due to the missing opinion.

Now, the first opinion explanation is on point in its discussion. It is strong in reference and actually shows the writer can think logically in the English language. The problem, is that the same cannot be said for the second opinion explanation. I was confused as to what was meant by

should delightfully take the blame for paying taxes to support public schools.

Why should they be happy to take the blame? The blame for what? I believe that the writer was a bit confused by his transliteration from Vietnamese to English in this case. Did he perhaps mean "...should delightfully pay for taxes to support public schools" ? That statement type would seem to better align itself with the rest of the paragraph. This lack of clarity in the paragraph could very well garner failing preliminary scores in the GRA and C+C sections.

40 words is the minimum word requirement for the concluding summary. It should be composed of at least 2 sentences as well and function in reverse paraphrase mode. Since the writer did not achieve that in the concluding statement, that paragraph will have to be given a failing score as well.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - TAX LIABILITY OF PARENTS OF CHILDREN ENROLLING IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS