TOEFL;Teachers should avoid expressing their political and social views in classrooms

Xiaokai Jin 11 / 23 5  
Do you agree or disagree that teachers should make their social or political views known to students in the classroom.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

There is always a dispute about whether teachers should make their social or political views known to students in the classroom or not. In my view, I am in favor of the argument that teachers are supposed to avoid giving their views on social or political in class.

To start with, refer to the main responsibilities of a teacher, a teacher should impart knowledge, encourage his students to think out things independently, inspire his students' mind and of course get his students pass the exam. Those things are much more important than talking about his personal idea about social and political issues. In addition, making his social and political views known to his students doesn't improve the quality of teaching. Inversely, it will lower students' learning efficiency. Because students holding different opinions will start to argue with each other and even quarrel in the class, which will definitely make harder for them to focus on what they are learning.

Moreover, what a teacher should do is to teach his students how to think by themselves rather than implant his ideas into his students' thoughts. What's more, a teacher's saying and behavior always has a significant impact on his students when they are young. If a teacher transmits some radical ideas in his class, we should really start to worry about what kind of influence will have on our kids.

So, to sum it up, I am convinced that a teacher is not supposed to speak about his views on political and social issues. A qualified teacher should devote most of his energy and enthusiasm to how to make his curriculum more interesting and engaging instead of drilling his thoughts into his students' mind. So that's why I think a teacher shouldn't give his ideas about social and political issues in class.
Annateee 2 / 11 1  
Hi..this is just my opinion.. :)

Start to argue with each other ...
May be u can just use -> meaningless conflicts

(3rd paragraph)
Moreover, a teacher should teach his students how to think out of the box instead of implant personal ideas to his students. A teacher's attitude in the class will influence students' positions as they are still green and quite naive about social and political views.
.... this looks fine to me; you introduce the topic and express your opinon... that's what they expect with the introduction :)

To start with,let's refer to the main responsibilities of a teacher;aA teacher should impart knowledge, encourage his students to think outlogically andthings independently , inspire his students' mind and of course get his students pass the exams .

... I introduced some changes... Good sentence :)

In addition, making his social and political views known to his students doesn't improve the quality of teaching.

In addition, in my view, his social or political views would not have any bearing on improving the quality of teaching.
At this point you should give a more specific example.

Inversely, it will lower students' learning efficiency. Because students holding different opinions will start to argue with each other and even quarrel in the class, which will definitely make harder for them to focus on what they are learning.

.... this line looks more or less like another reason and not a specific example. You can turn that into a specific example;
For example, suppose a teacher expresses his political views in the classroom. There can be a student who holds different political views and may try to defend his views by arguing with the teacher. This might ends up in very unpleasant situation straining the relationship with the teacher and the student. ...now it looks more speicific :)

You write well and wish you good luck!
OP Xiaokai Jin 11 / 23 5  
Thank you for all these excellent advice!

And I will try to apply them to my latter essays:D

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL;Teachers should avoid expressing their political and social views in classrooms