Teachers and issues of marginalization (short essay)

myinterwebs 1 / -  
This essay is for my Social Justice Class as a response to a movie called "It's elementary" but you do not have to watch the movie to understand the essay. It's barely three pages long, but I was hoping someone would give it a read and tell me if there are any aspects that need change before I hand it in. Thanks in advance n_n

Here it is:

Since the beginning of our Western society, primary education has been perceived as a very important step in the development of our children and youth population. Besides family groups, Schools have become the main source from where knowledge ideas and a general worldviews are shared. It is then, not a surprise to find that this system of education deserves much of our attention as it plays such an important role in the development and interactions of the future generations. However, it is not until recent decades, with the emphasis of Social Justice and Multiculturalism that we have begun to truly attempt to question and shape the foundations of what it means to have a freedom of education. Therefore, In today's world, the main objective of teachers representing issues of difference and marginalization should be to encourage an environment in which every student has an equal right and opportunity to learn and acquire the skills necessary to respect the uniqueness of all individuals.

Nevertheless, professors will not have the capacity to apply such means if they are not willing to use a "progressive, holistic education [and an] engaged pedagogy." (Hooks, 1994, p. 15) Using such means, the goal of the classroom will no longer just lie on the capacity of a student to achieve an academically desired outcome, but rather in the ultimate success and self-actualization of both student and teacher alike. This will, in no doubt, require teachers to give up some of the power most of them so dearly protect. On the other hand, the vulnerability of "experiential knowledge [and confessions will] enhance [the] learning experience" (Hooks, 1994, p.84), promote engagement and lessening of the possibility of silencing, by adding a connection between the lesson, academic material being taught and their lives as a whole. To educate in such manners, teachers must then receive a special training in the ways of a more transformative pedagogy that, even though is not mainstream, is suited to fit the special needs of every student.

They must learn that "there is no one way to approach a subject, only multiple ways and multiple references" (Hooks, 1994, p.36) that arrive at similar ends. Teaching will then, undoubtedly, become not just a one-way street in which information must travel without derailing, but a fluent interactive relation between all those involved. In keeping with this theme, they must also be aware that "no education is politically neutral." (Hooks, 1994, p.67)The opinion of all students must, in that way, only be respected if it does not detriment the extent in which their peers are able to learn. Hence the purpose of this teaching proposal is not to suggest that it is the duty of professors to take a moral stand, but rather that they are to inspire and "respect the right of [every individual] to just be." (Chasnoff and Cohen, 1996) The hope is that, in the future, the classroom will become a democratic and fair place "where everyone feels a responsibility to contribute" (Hooks, 1994, p. 39)

Some might argue that using such strategies will inevitably alienate aspects of the student's life or members of their family that do not agree with what in our society is now considered the inherent right of every individual. However, the reality is that taking a step away from such people and ideas does in fact bring the opportunity and allows many more sides of the argument to approach the table. Even when some of these are not physically present in the form of a person, a hypothetical third can be used to help by entering in the form of conversation and understanding. This does not repress the possibility of conflict but instead allows the confrontation of "one another across differences... [Using conflict itself] as a catalyst for new thinking [and] for growth" (Hook, 1994, p. 113) essentially changing the idea about how we learn.

In conclusion, what is being asked of the current system of education is that the diverse and distinct avenues of learning are opened. Children must be allowed not only to absorb information but also to benefit their lives in the process, all while addressing and thoughtfully comprehending others, and more importantly, themselves. This change cannot and will not happen swiftly, but since what we suggest is the dramatic but necessary change in the mentality of the whole scheme and the people who run it, the results will definitely be worth the trouble. It is also possible that these are just the first steps in what will hopefully be the true modernization of our culture, one that encourages questioning, creativity and respect for all humans.

-R C-
kkelsey82 2 / 6  
Here are a few things I would change for your introduction

Since the beginning of our Western society, primary education has been perceived as a very important step in the development of our children and youth population. Besides family groups, schools have become the main source from where knowledge, ideas, and general worldviews are shared. Unsurprisingly, this system of education deserves much of our attention as it plays such an important role in the development and interactions of future generations. However, it is not until recent decades, with the emphasis of Social Justice and Multiculturalism that we have begun to truly question and shape the foundations of what it means to have a freedom of education. Therefore, the main objective of teachers representing issues of difference and marginalization should be to encourage an environment in which every student has an equal right and opportunity to learn and acquire the skills necessary to respect the uniqueness of all individuals.

Home / Writing Feedback / Teachers and issues of marginalization (short essay)