Some teachers think that international student exchange would be beneficial for all young students

Huang Mike 1 / -  

international students exchange benefits

In this era of globalization, global student exchange programs have become increasingly popular. Many teachers consider this trend advantageous for teenagers and from my viewpoint, the drawbacks of this trend pale in comparison with its benefits.

On the one hand, studying abroad can breed many financial troubles and mental illnesses to exchange students. Firstly, education exchange can put a strain on the budget of exchange students and their families. This is because the living costs in foreign countries, especially the developed nations, may be prohibitively expensive when compared to those in students' home countries. Secondly, overseas students may face various obstacles and challenges such as homesickness, cultural shock, language barrier and even racist discrimination. These difficulties hinder students from integrating into new communities, making them suffer from social isolation and depression in the worst scenario.

On the other hand, student exchange can do wonders to teenagers' knowledge and skills as well as job opportunities. For one thing, studying abroad can equip students with an interpersonal skill set. For instance, exchange students living alone can learn how to manage their time and money budget on their own and take care of themselves, which makes them more independent and confident in their adulthood. Moreover, students studying in first world countries have a chance to access the top tier education, acquiring expertise and advanced knowledge. Finally, exchange students can get exposed to alien cultures and gain more deep insights into them which can give students a competitive edge over other job seekers in the future when applying for multinational companies.

In conclusion, notwithstanding the financial burden and mental problems, international students exchange is beneficial for teenage schoolers as it affords them essential skills and knowledge for their future career path. Therefore, orientations should be given to encourage study exchange and minimise its disadvantages.
The essay has partially good and definitely bad points.

Partially Good:
The writer shows a good understanding of the topic. He offered a good opinion that relates to the discussion requirement. There is a slight problem in the presentation format though. The first sentence is relatively problem free. The second sentence though, presented 2 ideas, which are not related in discussion basis in one sentence. It is a confusing run-on sentence that removes from the cohesive and coherent restatement + personal opinion presentation paragraph.

Definitely Bad:
The student has decided to use a comparative paragraph that offers justifications for both sides. This type of presentation does not succeed in explaining the writer's single point of view as originally stated because of the now divided opinion presentation. The essay now presents a clouded opinion which does not support the writers opinion in a fully understandable manner. The discussion manner is inappropriate. The presentation is only half correct and will benefit only from half scoring considerations.

Home / Writing Feedback / Some teachers think that international student exchange would be beneficial for all young students