IELTS TASK 2: technology has affected communication, positive or negative?

db723 5 / 7 1  
Nowadays the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology.
In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships that people make? Has this been a positive or negative development?

We are living in the era of technology, resulting in fundamental shifts in people's ways of communication. Relationships between people has been influenced in many aspects. There are negative effects of this development, while I believe positive effects outweigh negative ones.

Technology has revolutionized business and personal relationships. Both companies and individuals now highly depend on the Internet connection to communicate with each other. New methods like phone calls, messages and emails have replaced face-to-face conversation, thus, people can hold meetings and conversations without meeting in reality.

Changes in ways of communication caused by technology advancement are beneficial to companies and individuals. Novel approaches are so convenient that making instant long distance conversation possible. For example, international corporations are able to hold video conferences, connecting branches worldwide with the headquarter. In terms of individuals, overseas students now have access to frequently interact with their families online, instead posting a letter and waiting for three months in the past. Besides, communications development is effective and efficient. It saves time that has been wasted owing to traffic condition.

However, technological improvement on communication can be harmful to individuals, resulting in isolation issues. People, especially the young generation who are digital natives, tend to tackle all types of relationships online. The lack of face-to-face meetings would make them isolated in reality. For example, teenagers who keep typing online find themselves hard to communicate with peers in reality.

In conclusion, technology has been developing rapidly, thereby influencing our relationships and ways of communication with each other. Though it will lead to isolation problems, I consider there are more positive effects than negative.

Word count: 270

THANKS!
fadh93 6 / 11  
Hi, I would like to give a comment about introduction

We are living in the era ...

We are living in the era of technology, resulting in fundamental shifts in people's ways of communication. This phenomenon has influenced relationship between people in many aspect . I believe positive effects outweigh negative ones, while there are negative effects of this development .

I find a bit confusing when you use passive voice on your introduction, so I try to use active voice and I think it is more understandable.

Btw, I love the way you answer the first question. It sounds real and really close to us.

Goodluck
Cheers!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2: technology has affected communication, positive or negative?